Cognitive euphoria (semantically the opposite of cognitive dysphoria) is medically recognized as a cognitive and emotional state in which a person experiences intense feelings of well-being, elation, happiness, excitement, and joy. Although euphoria is an effect (i.e. a substance is euphorigenic), the term is also used colloquially to define a state of transcendent happiness combined with an intense sense of contentment. However, recent psychological research suggests euphoria can largely contribute to but should not be equated with happiness.
Cognitive euphoria is often accompanied by other coinciding effects such as physical euphoria and tactile enhancement. It is most commonly induced under the influence of moderate dosages of opioids, entactogens, stimulants, and GABAergic depressants. However, it can also occur to a lesser extent under the influence of hallucinogenic compounds such as psychedelics, dissociatives, and cannabinoids.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
Anecdotal reports which describe this effect within our experience index include:
- Experience: 105mg Ephenidine - An Intense Emotional Experience
- Experience: 15mg 2C-B (oral) - A pleasant low-dose evening with Nexus
- Experience: 200µg 1P-LSD (sublingual) + 12mg CBD - The Vortex of Empathy
- Experience: 22mg 2C-B (oral) / 100ug 1P-LSD (sublingual) - My first time tripping alone (2 days in a row)
- Experience:1000mg / 1200mg / 1400mg / 1600mg - heroic doses
- Experience:1000mgs of U4700 over 8 days - A harmful substance
- Experience:10mg & 20mg Intravenous DPT HCl - Familiar Shapes, Experiencing Death, Immersed in The Light
- Experience:120µg LSD - First Bad Acid Trip, Psychosis
- Experience:150mg MDMA + 20mg 2C-B - I designed it this way myself
- Experience:170mg 4-AcO-DMT - Recklessness rewarded
- Experience:1g Methiopropamine - Chasing the Chalky Dragon
- Experience:1g of stars and love
- Experience:2.5g Mushrooms + 500mg DMT
- Experience:20mg Etizolam - Smoking Etizolam
- Experience:20mg Heroin - The Last Time I Shot Up
- Experience:225mg Pregabalin +Cannabis -Bliss and Serenity; a hedonistic evening
- Experience:25mg - A labyrinth of organs and a storybook walk
- Experience:25mg 3-MeO-PCP - Enhanced film experience
- Experience:25mg Deschloroketamine - My first time orally dosing DCK
- Experience:2mg 25C-NBOMe - Experimental trip to test personal limits of NBOMes
- Experience:2mg Etizolam & N20 - "Hippy Crack" Indeed
- Experience:3 Grams of Mushrooms - Reset on my Life, Experiencing Satori and the Cosmic Perspective
- Experience:3.5g psilocybe cubensis - Relinquishing of Material Chains/Fear and Desolation
- Experience:300ug LSD - The Pyramid Universe
- Experience:300µg LSD - Togetherness and the Silent Dusk
- Experience:30mg (smoked) DMT - The Monolith
- Experience:30mg - Psychostimulant egodeath
- Experience:30mg Isopropylphenidate - IPPH As A Study Aid
- Experience:337mg DMT fumurate - A Day With DMT
- Experience:37mg Isopropylphenidate - Getting Shit Done With Isopropylphenidate
- Experience:3g - I found god inside of myself
- Experience:3mg Etizolam - A Comedown Drug
- Experience:4-HO-MET – 15 mg Insufflated
- Experience:400mg and 300mg of fluorophenibut
- Experience:42 mg TMA-6: Pure Bliss
- Experience:5.3g psilocybe cubensis - Dimensional Circumstance and the Fabric of Understanding
- Experience:5g Mushrooms - Failed attempt at a Terence Mckenna style trip.
- Experience:6-10g Red Maeng Da - Minor Dissociation and a Peculiar "Nod"
- Experience:6g mimosa / 2.5 g syrian rue - Best cake I've had for a while
- Experience:75 mg - Good tunes feat. Jeb Bush
- Experience:75mg 3-FMA - Perfect Blend of Euphoria and Functionality
- Experience:800 seeds LSA - My First Trip Ever
- Experience:A night with Ethylphenidate
- Experience:BK-2C-B - Various experiences
- Experience:DXM and Cannabis: 100mg - Unexpected Strong Trip
- Experience:Unknown dosage / 1 tab DOC - Psychedelia Turned Into Stimulant Psychosis
- Responsible use
- Subjective effects index
- Cognitive dysphoria
- Psychedelics - Subjective effects
- Dissociatives - Subjective effects
- Deliriants - Subjective effects
- "Glossary of Technical Terms". Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.): 821. 2013. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.GlossaryofTechnicalTerms.
- Drevets, Wayne C; Gautier, Clara; Price, Julie C; Kupfer, David J; Kinahan, Paul E; Grace, Anthony A; Price, Joseph L; Mathis, Chester A (2001). "Amphetamine-induced dopamine release in human ventral striatum correlates with euphoria". Biological Psychiatry. 49 (2): 81–96. doi:10.1016/S0006-3223(00)01038-6. ISSN 0006-3223.
- Jônsson, Lars-Erik; Änggård, Erik; Gunne, Lars-M (1971). "Blockade of intravenous amphetamine euphoria in man". Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 12 (6): 889–896. doi:10.1002/cpt1971126889. ISSN 0009-9236.
- Synofzik, Matthis; Schlaepfer, Thomas E.; Fins, Joseph J. (2012). "How Happy Is Too Happy? Euphoria, Neuroethics, and Deep Brain Stimulation of the Nucleus Accumbens". AJOB Neuroscience. 3 (1): 30–36. doi:10.1080/21507740.2011.635633. ISSN 2150-7740.
- Lucas, Richard E.; Diener, Ed; Suh, Eunkook (1996). "Discriminant validity of well-being measures". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 71 (3): 616–628. doi:10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996. ISSN 1939-1315.