Cognitive fatigue (also called exhaustion, tiredness, lethargy, languidness, languor, lassitude, and listlessness) is medically recognized as a state usually associated with a weakening or depletion of one's mental resources. The intensity and duration of this effect typically depends on the substance consumed and its dosage. It can also be further exacerbated by various factors such as a lack of sleep or food. These feelings of exhaustion involve a wide variety of symptoms which generally include some or all of the following effects:
- Analysis suppression
- Motivation suppression
- Thought deceleration
- Short term memory suppression
- Thought disorganization
- Language suppression
- Creativity suppression
Cognitive fatigue is most commonly induced under the influence of moderate dosages of antipsychotic compounds, such as quetiapine, haloperidol, and risperidone. However, it can also occur during the withdrawal symptoms of many depressants, and during the offset of many stimulants.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
- Responsible use
- Physical fatigue
- Subjective effects index
- Deliriants - Subjective effects
- Dissociatives - Subjective effects
- Psychedelics - Subjective effects
- "Glossary of Technical Terms". Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.): 821. 2013. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.GlossaryofTechnicalTerms.
- Mizuno, Kei; Tanaka, Masaaki; Yamaguti, Kouzi; Kajimoto, Osami; Kuratsune, Hirohiko; Watanabe, Yasuyoshi (2011). "Mental fatigue caused by prolonged cognitive load associated with sympathetic hyperactivity". Behavioral and Brain Functions. 7 (1): 17. doi:10.1186/1744-9081-7-17. ISSN 1744-9081.
- Alhola, P., & Polo-Kantola, P. (2007). Sleep deprivation: Impact on cognitive performance. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656292/
- Kim, Jin Young; Kang, Seung Wan (2017). "Relationships between Dietary Intake and Cognitive Function in Healthy Korean Children and Adolescents". Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. 7 (1): 10–17. doi:10.15280/jlm.2017.7.1.10. ISSN 2234-8549.
- Seo, Rubo J.; MacPherson, Holly; Young, Allan H. (2010). "Atypical Antipsychotics and Other Therapeutic Options for Treatment of Resistant Major Depressive Disorder". Pharmaceuticals. 3 (12): 3522–3542. doi:10.3390/ph3123522. ISSN 1424-8247.
- Wittkampf, Laura Christina; Arends, Johannes; Timmerman, Leo; Lancel, Marike (2012). "A review of modafinil and armodafinil as add-on therapy in antipsychotic-treated patients with schizophrenia". Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. 2 (3): 115–125. doi:10.1177/2045125312441815. ISSN 2045-1253.
- Chaudhuri, Abhijit; Behan, Peter O (2000). "Fatigue and basal ganglia". Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 179 (1-2): 34–42. doi:10.1016/S0022-510X(00)00411-1. ISSN 0022-510X.
- Lago, Jesus A.; Kosten, Thomas R. (1994). "Stimulant withdrawal". Addiction. 89 (11): 1477–1481. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.1994.tb03746.x. ISSN 0965-2140.