Perspective distortions can be described as subtle to extreme changes in how one perceives the size and distance attributed to a person’s body, to specific parts of the external environment, or to the external environment as a whole.
When affecting distance, perspective distortions can make things seem as if they are physically closer or further away than they usually would be. This can range from a subtle experience, such as the other side of the room feeling marginally further away than it usually would be, to an extreme experience, such as feeling as if the horizon is right in front of you.
When affecting size, perspective distortions can make things seem as if they are physically smaller or larger in terms of the sense of size that one would usually attribute to them. This can range from a subtle experience, such as the room feeling marginally smaller and more cramped than it usually would be, to an extreme experience, such as feeling as if the room is hundreds of miles wide.
Perspective distortions are often accompanied by other coinciding effects such as depth perception distortions and visual disconnection. They are most commonly induced under the influence of moderate dosages of dissociative compounds, such as ketamine, PCP, MXE, and DXM.
Alice in wonderland syndrome
Feelings of suddenly having an impossibly giant or tiny body are also a very common manifestation of this effect. This feeling is already known by the scientific literature as “Alice in Wonderland Syndrome”, where it is seen as a temporary condition often associated with migraines, brain tumours, and the use of psychoactive drugs. The effect can either be attributed to the body as a whole or specific parts of it. For example, feelings of having a huge head or tiny limbs are possible.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
Anecdotal reports which describe this effect within our experience index include:
- Experience: 1 tab 1P-LSD (oral) - Finding myself within the forest
- Experience:1000 Morning Glory seeds - Rediscovering the Self
- Experience:1000mg / 1200mg / 1400mg / 1600mg - heroic doses
- Experience:200 mg of MXP + N2O:20 chargers
- Experience:25mg (insufflated) - Simultaneously amazing and horrible
- Experience:354mg DXM, weed, nicotine - Descending into the void
- Experience:40mg - Brothermind and the Forest's Hand
- Experience:420mg - 3-MEO-PCMo trip report
- Experience:5.3g psilocybe cubensis - Dimensional Circumstance and the Fabric of Understanding
- Experience:5g Mushrooms - Failed attempt at a Terence Mckenna style trip.
- Experience:700mg - To the dextroverse.
- Experience:750mg - Experiencing Void; Dissociation Of Reality And Self
- Experience:Unknown dosage / 3 tabs - Ego death and a total break through in the snow
- Responsible use
- Subjective effects index
- Perspective alterations
- Psychedelics - Subjective effects
- Dissociatives - Subjective effects
- Deliriants - Subjective effects