A thought loop is defined as the experience of becoming trapped within a chain of thoughts, actions and emotions which repeats itself over and over again in a cyclic loop. These loops usually range from anywhere between 5 seconds and 2 minutes in length. However, some users have reported them to be up to a few hours in length. It can be extremely disorientating to undergo this effect and it often triggers states of progressive anxiety within people who may be unfamiliar with the experience. The most effective way to end a cycle of thought loops is to simply sit down and try to let go.
This state of mind is most likely to occur during states of memory suppression in which there is a partial or complete failure of the person's short-term memory. This may suggest that thought loops are the result of cognitive processes becoming unable to sustain themselves for appropriate lengths of time due to a lapse in short-term memory, resulting in the thought process attempting to restart from the beginning only to fall short once again in a perpetual cycle.
Thought loops are most commonly induced under the influence of heavy dosages of hallucinogenic compounds, such as psychedelics and dissociatives. However, they can also occur to a lesser extent under the influence of extremely heavy dosages of stimulants and benzodiazepines.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
- Psilocybin mushrooms
Anecdotal reports which describe this effect within our experience index include:
- Experience: 5-EAPB (60mg) + 2-FMA (20mg) + 4-AcO-DMT (10mg) - Emotional catharsis
- Experience: 660ug LSD - First bad trip
- Experience: 6mg:DOC - Carpet shop hell
- Experience:1064mgs - Fascinating DXM experience - Unusual effects
- Experience:2 hits of LSD + weed - Mindfuck
- Experience:200 mg of MXP + N2O:20 chargers
- Experience:225ug - Sheer Awe and Joy
- Experience:25mg - A labyrinth of organs and a storybook walk
- Experience:2C-P (approx. 35mg) - Asymmetrical Terror and the Geometric Sea
- Experience:300ug LSD - Profound religious experience
- Experience:300µg AL-LAD - Don't worry, because you're everyone!
- Experience:300µg LSD - Togetherness and the Silent Dusk
- Experience:3g Syrian Rue + 5g Acacia Confusa - Life Changing Madness
- Experience:40mg - Brothermind and the Forest's Hand
- Experience:45mg 2cc & 45mg 4-aco-dmt - Ego death and loneliness
- Experience:4x 200ug tabs - You do not need to understand
- Experience:5 tabs LSD + cannabis + nitrous - A lover's ego death
- Experience:5.3g psilocybe cubensis - Dimensional Circumstance and the Fabric of Understanding
- Experience:800ug LSD - 3D Vision
- Experience:BK-2C-B - Various experiences
- Experience:~150mg MDA(oral) - a case of mistaken identity
- Responsible use
- Subjective effects index
- Psychedelics - Subjective effects
- Dissociatives - Subjective effects
- Deliriants - Subjective effects
- Bersani, Francesco Saverio; Corazza, Ornella; Albano, Gabriella; Valeriani, Giuseppe; Santacroce, Rita; Bolzan Mariotti Posocco, Flaminia; Cinosi, Eduardo; Simonato, Pierluigi; Martinotti, Giovanni; Bersani, Giuseppe; Schifano, Fabrizio (2014). "25C-NBOMe: Preliminary Data on Pharmacology, Psychoactive Effects, and Toxicity of a New Potent and Dangerous Hallucinogenic Drug". BioMed Research International. 2014: 1–6. doi:10.1155/2014/734749. ISSN 2314-6133.