|Summary sheet: 4-AcO-DiPT|
|Common names||4-AcO-DiPT, 4-Acetoxy-DiPT, Ipracetin, "Aces"|
|Systematic name||3-[2-(Diisopropylamino)ethyl]-1H-indol-4-yl acetate|
|Routes of Administration|
4-Acetoxy-N,N-diisopropyltryptamine (also known as 4-AcO-DiPT, 4-Acetoxy-DiPT, Ipracetin, Iprocetyl and colloquially as "4-Ace" or "Aces") is a lesser-known synthetic psychedelic substance of the tryptamine chemical class that produces a unique mixture of physically euphoric, stimulating, and atypically minimal visual and introspective psychedelic effects when administered.
It has been described in early online reports as being only vaguely similar to structurally-related tryptamine substances such as psilocin or 4-AcO-DMT but with the disinhibiting, physically euphoric and libidinous signature of psychedelics like 5-MeO-DiPT, and an atypically short duration of around 3 - 4 hours. It has since been reported to be slightly longer lasting and mildly less potent than 4-HO-DiPT (also known as Iprocin) with an active dose reported as between 15 and 40 mg.
4-AcO-DiPT is primarily thought to act as a prodrug to 4-HO-DiPT, a substance which Alexander Shulgin comments on in his book TiHKAL. In it he writes that he "truly doubt(s) that there is another psychedelic drug, anywhere, that can match this one for speed, for intensity, for brevity, and sensitive to dose, at least one that is active orally." Anecdotal reports dating from at least 1999 reveals that these properties are largely preserved with 4-AcO-DiPT, with the exception of a less rapid and potentially jarring onset, slightly extended duration and decreased physical side-effects from the excessive stimulation and restlessness that 4-HO-DiPT is commonly reported to produce, making it a more comfortable experience overall.
Today, 4-AcO-DiPT is rarely able to be acquired on the consumer market and when it is, is almost exclusively distributed as a gray-area research chemical online for recreational and proclaimed entheogenic purposes. It is an example of the early wave of psychedelic research chemical that were explored following the wake of its initial synthesis and documentation in TiHKAL, before the emergence of an easily-accessible network of online research chemical vendors during the early 2000s.
Very little data exists about the pharmacological properties, metabolism, and toxicity of 4-AcO-DiPT. Users are advised to proceed with caution when choosing to use this substance.
- 1 Chemistry
- 2 Pharmacology
- 3 Subjective effects
- 4 Combinations
- 5 Toxicity and harm potential
- 6 Legal issues
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
4-Acetoxy-N,N-diisopropyltryptamine, or 4-AcO-DiPT, is a synthetic indole alkaloid molecule of the tryptamine chemical class. Tryptamines share a core structure comprised of a bicylic indole heterocycle attached at R3 to an amino group via an ethyl side chain. 4-AcO-DiPT is substituted at R4 of its indole heterocycle with an acetoxy (-AcO) functional group CH3COO−. It also contains two diisopropyl chains bound to the terminal amine RN of its base tryptamine backbone (i.e. DiPT).
4-AcO-DiPT likely acts as a 5-HT2A partial agonist. The primary psychedelic effects are believed to come from 4-AcO-DiPT's efficacy at the 5-HT2A receptors, although a number of other receptors may be involved as well. However, the role of these interactions and how they result in the psychedelic experience remains subject to ongoing scientific investigation.
4-AcO-DiPT is reported to produce effects that are almost identical to its de-acetylated counterpart (4-HO-DiPT), albeit with a slightly extended duration and slower ramp-up in its activity. This is in a similar manner that substances like 4-AcO-DMT/4-HO-DMT, 4-AcO-MET/4-HO-MET, and 4-AcO-DET/4-HO-DET all seem to share the core pharmacokinetic relationship to their counterparts, suggesting that the 4-acetoxy tryptamine compounds are largely deacetylated into their respective 4-hydroxy homologs before exerting their main effects, though the degree and manner to which this occurs has yet to be scientifically validated..
The effects listed below are based on the subjective effect index, which is based on anecdotal reports and the personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be treated with a healthy amount of skepticism. It is worth noting that these effects will rarely (if ever) occur all at once but heavier doses will increase the chances of inducing a full range of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely on higher doses and may include serious injury or death.
The physical effects of 4-AcO-DiPT are perhaps the most pronounced and distinct of any four-position substituted tryptamine. Anecdotal reports suggest that they seem to come at the expense of any introspective quality and instead produces a state marked initially by sedation, deep relaxation, and physical comfort before proceeding to a state marked by a unique type of psychedelic stimulation, bodily awareness enhancements and physical euphoria that remains consistent throughout the experience once it has developed.
- Sedation and Stimulation - In terms of its effects on the physical energy levels of the user, 4-AcO-DiPT is considered have the paradoxical property of both being relaxing, stoning and mildly sedating that arises in the first part of the experience, before the development of a marked sense of physical stimulation that can promote energetic activities such as dancing.
- Spontaneous physical sensations - The "body high" of 4-AcO-DiPT can be described as a pleasurable, soft and all-encompassing tingling sensation or glow. This maintains a consistent presence that steadily rises with the onset and hits its limit once the peak has been reached. Once the peak of the experience or sensation is reached it can feel intensely euphoric and tranquil along with a paradoxical sense of energetic stimulation that is considered to be atypical for a substituted tryptamine.
- Physical euphoria - It should be noted that this effect is a very consistent and predominating component relative to related psychedelics like psilocin and produces energetic and stimulating effects that uniquely resemble those produced by stimulants or entactogens (in as close as a psychedelic can get to the physical euphoria these substances can produce), albeit in a less forced manner.
- Tactile enhancement - This effect is extremely prominent relative to just about all other substituted tryptamines.
- Perception of bodily lightness - This effect corresponds to the general sense of sedation and relaxation that characterizes 4-AcO-DiPT experiences, this manifests as a bodily heaviness that discourages movement but is typically only prominent during the first half of the trip.
- Changes in felt bodily form - This effect is often accompanied by a sense of warmth or unity and usually occurs during the initial part of the experience before the stimulating effects become more prominent. Users can feel as if they are physically part of or conjoined with other objects. This is usually reported as feeling deeply comfortable in its sensations and even peaceful, and is a very prominent effect produced by 4-HO-DiPT.
- Temperature regulation suppression - A special amount of attention should be paid to the temperature modulating effects of this compound -- especially at its peak -- as reports suggest that it can reliably produce increases in bodily temperature that is somewhat atypical for a substituted tryptamine.
- Muscle relaxation
- Muscle contractions
- Nausea - This effect can be greatly lessened or even completely avoided if the individual has an near-empty stomach prior to ingestion. It is sometimes recommended that one eat a light meal 3 to 4 hours beforehand, particularly if feeling physically fatigued. Relative to other tryptamines like psilocybin mushrooms or 4-AcO-DMT, however, reports suggest that this substance typically produces minimal nausea
- Increased heart rate
- Restless leg syndrome
- Excessive yawning
- Muscle contractions
- Watery eyes
- Pupil dilation
- Seizure - This is likely a rare effect but can likely happen in those predisposed to them, especially while in physically taxing conditions such as being dehydrated, fatigued or undernourished. However it should be noted that there are no documented cases of seizures occurring with this compound.
In comparison to other psychedelics and substituted tryptamines, 4-AcO-DiPT presents very little in the way of visual effects, with only mild visual alterations even at heavy doses for all of the effects listed across the board. Anecdotal reports suggest that it is incapable of producing any higher level visuals and totally incapable of inducing geometry or hallucinatory states as is the case with other 4-substituted tryptamines such as 4-AcO-DMT or 4-AcO-MET.
The cognitive effects of 4-AcO-DiPT are described by many as a paradoxical mixture of being both sedating/stoning and markedly stimulating in style when compared to other commonly used tryptamines such as psilocin or 4-AcO-DMT, which tend to be sedating, introspective, personally meaningful, and emotionally charged. It is also regarded as being notably more lucid and un-impairing than psilocybin mushrooms or even LSD, with minimal to no headspace or visual alterations. It displays a number of cognitive effects that are not typically associated with traditional serotonergic psychedelics.
The most prominent of these typical effects generally include:
- Outrospection - This substance has been reported as being atypically non-introspective for a psychedelic substituted tryptamine, instead lending itself to social activities and recreational outings.
- Disinhibition - This effect is notably pronounced for a psychedelic tryptamine and reportedly lends to increased sociability and pleasure-seeking behavior.
- Anxiety suppression
- Increased music appreciation
- Novelty enhancement
- Immersion enhancement
- Empathy, affection, and sociability enhancement - This effect can be described as being less prominent, consistent and profound when compared to other traditional psychedelics such as mescaline, LSD or 4-AcO-DMT. It can lead to strong feelings of physical connection and social bonding, both in mass gatherings as well as in more intimate settings. The sociability enhancement occurs at a much higher and consistent rate than with just about all other substituted tryptamines, which tend to produce socially-impairing effects at medium-to-high doses that 4-AcO-DiPT does not.
- Compulsive redosing - This effect seems to be atypically prominent for this substance when compared to traditional psychedelics, and is likely due to its uniquely short duration and a progression marked by a rapid come up followed by an equally rapid offset.
- Mindfulness - This effect is typically only prominent at the very beginning stages of the experience, before the stimulating and disinhibiting aspects take over.
- Time distortion - This effect is comparatively mild when compared to simpler substituted tryptamines with longer durations and more memory-suppressing components.
- The effects which occur during and after the offset of this compound are comparable to that of a mild stimulant. The experience generally feels mildly fatiguing compared to the effects which occurred during its peak. This is colloquially referred to as a "comedown". Its effects commonly include:
Anecdotal reports which describe the effects of this compound within our experience index include:
Additional experience reports can be found here:
- Cannabis - When used in conjunction with cannabis, both the visual and cognitive effects of 4-AcO-DiPT can be intensified and extended with extreme efficacy. This should be done with extreme caution, however, especially if one is not experienced with psychedelics. Many users typically report a dramatically intensified visual and "body high"; however, this can also amplify the anxiety, confusion and psychosis producing aspects of cannabis significantly, so extreme caution is advised when combining these two substances.
- Alcohol - This interaction is not typically recommended due to alcohol’s diuretic and physically taxing effect which can negatively affect a trip if taken in high dosages. This combination is, however, considered to be reasonably safe in low doses and when used in moderate quantities, can often "take the edge off" a trip as well as dull its psychedelic effects in a fashion somewhat similar to benzodiazepines, albeit in a more physically draining way.
- Benzodiazepines - When used in combination with benzodiazepines, benzodiazepines can, depending on the dosage, slightly to completely reduce the intensity of the cognitive, physical and visual effects of a psilocin trip. They are very efficient at stopping bad trips at the cost of amnesia and reduced trip intensity. Caution is advised when acquiring them for this purpose, however, due to the very high habit-forming and addiction potential that benzodiazepines possess.
Toxicity and harm potential
The toxicity and long-term health effects of recreational 4-AcO-DiPT use do not seem to have been studied in any scientific context and the exact toxic dose is unknown. This is because 4-AcO-DiPT is a research chemical with very little history of human usage. Anecdotal evidence from people within the psychonaut community who have tried 4-AcO-DiPT suggests that there are no negative health effects attributed to simply trying the drug by itself at low to moderate doses and using it very sparingly (although nothing can be completely guaranteed). Independent research should always be done to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe before consumption.
It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this drug.
Tolerance and addiction potential
4-AcO-DiPT is not known to be habit-forming and the desire to use it can actually decrease with repeated administration. As with most psychedelics, it is generally considered to have a built-in, self-regulating aspect. However, it should be noted that due to the distinctly hedonic effects this substance produces, it may possess a higher liability for frequent or excessive consumption relative to most psychedelics.
Tolerance to the effects of 4-AcO-DiPT are built almost immediately after ingestion. Afterward, it takes about 3 days for the tolerance to be reduced to half and 7 days to be back at baseline (in the absence of further consumption). 4-AcO-DiPT presents cross-tolerance with all psychedelics, meaning that after the consumption of 4-AcO-DiPT all psychedelics will have a reduced effect.
Although many psychoactive substances are reasonably safe to use on their own, they can quickly become dangerous or even life-threatening when taken with other substances. The following lists some known dangerous combinations, but cannot be guaranteed to include all of them. Independent research should always be conducted to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe to consume. Some interactions listed have been sourced from TripSit.
- Lithium - Lithium is commonly prescribed in the treatment of bipolar disorder. There is a large body of anecdotal evidence that suggests taking it with psychedelics significantly increases the risk of psychosis and seizures. As a result, this combination is strictly discouraged.
- Cannabis - Cannabis has an unexpectedly strong and unpredictable synergy with the effects of psychedelics. Caution is advised with this combination as it can significantly increase the risk of adverse psychological reactions like anxiety, paranoia, panic attacks, and psychosis. Users are advised to start off with only a fraction of their normal cannabis dose and take long breaks between hits to avoid over intake.
- Stimulants (Amphetamine, cocaine, methylphenidate, ...) - Stimulants affect many parts of the brain and alter dopaminergic function. Combined with psychedelics, stimulation can turn into severe anxiety, panic, thought loops, and paranoia. This interaction may result in an elevated risk of mania and psychosis.
- Tramadol - Tramadol lowers the seizure threshold and psychedelics may act as triggers for seizures in susceptible individuals.
This legality section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or wrong information. You can help by expanding it.
- Denmark - 4-AcO-DiPT is a Schedule B controlled substance in Denmark.
- Japan - 4-AcO-DiPT is a controlled substance in Japan.
- Sweden - 4-AcO-DiPT is illegal to sell or possess in Sweden.
- United States - 4-AcO-DiPT is unscheduled in the United States. It may be considered an analogue of psilocin (4-HO-DMT) which is a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act. As such, the sale for human consumption or the use for illicit non-medical or industrial intents and purposes could be prosecuted as crimes under the Federal Analogue Act.
- United Kingdom - 4-AcO-DiPT is a Class A drug in the UK as it is an ester of the drug 4-HO-DiPT, which is a Class A drug as a result of the tryptamine catch-all clause.
- Responsible use - Hallucinogens
- Research chemical
- Erowid. (n.d.). Erowid 4-Acetoxy-DiPT Vault. Retrieved from https://erowid.org/chemicals/4_acetoxy_dipt/4_acetoxy_dipt.shtml
- Erowid. (1999, November). Erowid 4-Acetoxy-DiPT Vaults: Primer. Retrieved from https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/4_acetoxy_dipt/4_acetoxy_dipt_primer.shtml
- Shulgin, A., & Shulgin, A. (1991). Erowid Online Books: "TIHKAL" - #17. 4-HO-DIPT. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Compound Database; CID=24801868, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/24801868 (accessed May 2, 2017).
- Talaie, H., Panahandeh, R., Fayaznouri, M. R., Asadi, Z., & Abdollahi, M. (2009). Dose-independent occurrence of seizure with tramadol. Journal of Medical Toxicology, 5(2), 63-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03161089
- ホーム > 政策について > 分野別の政策一覧 > 健康・医療 > 医薬品・医療機器 > 薬物乱用防止に関する情報 | http://www.mhlw.go.jp/bunya/iyakuhin/yakubuturanyou/scheduled-drug/list.html
- Svensk författningssamling | http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/sfs/20050026.pdf
- Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Legislation.gov.uk) | http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/38/schedule/2/part/I/paragraph/3
- Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Legislation.gov.uk) |http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/38/schedule/2/part/I#reference-M_F_c7632653-ddad-4420-f307-e3da1e36d30e