Anxiety can be described as negative feelings of psychological tension and general unease. These feelings can range from subtle and ignorable to intense and overwhelming enough to trigger panic attacks and feelings of impending doom. This is often accompanied by nervous behavior such as rumination, complaints, restlessness, and muscular tension. As an emotion it is considered as distinct from fear in that feelings of anxiety are usually an overreaction to a situation that is not realistically dangerous.
In regards to psychoactive substance usage, anxiety can be caused as an inescapable effect of the drug itself, by a lack of experience with the substance, or by the experience of negative hallucinations. It is extremely common to experience this effect under the influence of cannabinoids, stimulant comedowns and hallucinogens such as LSD or salvia divinorum.
Panic attacks are periods of extremely intense anxiety that have a sudden onset and a variable duration. These usually begin abruptly and may reach their peak within 10 to 20 minutes, but may also continue for hours in extreme cases before subsiding on their own. Although this experience is incredibly stressful it is important to note that it is not physically dangerous or harmful.
The various cognitive and physical symptoms of a panic attack are described and listed below:
- Hyperventilation - Hyperventilation occurs when one breathes deeper and more rapidly than usual. When hyperventilating, one may feel as though they are struggling to get enough air. As this causes a decrease of carbon dioxide in the blood, it may result in lightheadedness, a rapid heartbeat, chest pain, or a tingling sensation in one's limbs.
- Abnormal heart rate and palpitations - Due to the release of stress hormones, one may experience heart symptoms including missed beats, palpitations, chest pain, and an accelerated heart rate.
- Tactile suppression - This can be described as a loss of sensation as well as numbness and tingling sensations throughout the body. It may feel as if one's skin or body parts are numb to the touch, and this can occur in a small area or become all-encompassing throughout multiple body parts or the entire body. Numbness most frequently occurs within the hands, legs, arms, feet, and face. This effect is often accompanied by a pins and needle sensation and it generally increases alongside of hyperventilation.
- Shortness of breath
- Trembling or shaking
- Feelings of choking
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Bodily pressures
- Nausea or abdominal distress
- Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
- Fear of losing control or going insane
- Feelings of impending doom
- Chills or hot flashes
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
Anecdotal reports which describe this effect within our experience index include:
- Experience:120µg LSD - First Bad Acid Trip, Psychosis
- Experience:150mg MDMA + 20mg 2C-B - I designed it this way myself
- Experience:17mg 3-MeO-PCP & Cannabis oil - Terrifying confusion
- Experience:1g Methiopropamine - Chasing the Chalky Dragon
- Experience:2 x 150 LSD tabs
- Experience:2.5g Peganum Harmala + 250µg LSD - Ecstasy of Love and Misanthropy
- Experience:2.5g Syrian rue + 6g Mimosa Hostilis - Becoming God (my second experience with unity)
- Experience:20mg - I looked up and saw an angry god-like figure made of clouds glaring down at me
- Experience:250 seeds - Harsh body load
- Experience:26mg - I begged the shroom aliens to kill me
- Experience:26mg - Stage 3 Trip
- Experience:3 drops of cinnamon bark oil/ 5 drops of german chamomile oil/ 2mL of nutmeg oil in lecithin - experiments with nutmeg oil
- Experience:3-MeO-PCP extreme psychosis
- Experience:3.5g psilocybe cubensis - Relinquishing of Material Chains/Fear and Desolation
- Experience:3g - I found god inside of myself
- Experience:40mg - Second breakthrough
- Experience:45mg 2cc & 45mg 4-aco-dmt - Ego death and loneliness
- Experience:50mg - How's the short-term memory?
- Experience:535mg - My First DXM Trip...
- Experience:8 teaspoons, My Mom Introduces Me To Genesis and Other Things
- Experience:A combination of 25mg 4-AcO-DMT and unknown amount of 6-APB (benzofury)
- Experience:DMT: 200mg 1/5 changa - Bad yet glorious trip
- Experience:DXM and Cannabis: 100mg - Unexpected Strong Trip
- Experience:Datura Alcoholic Tincture
- Experience:LSD:660ug - First bad trip
- Experience:Meditation with cannabis - terminated ego loss
- Experience:The Psilohuasca Albino Fox
- Experience:Unknown Dosages: 1 psilocin chocolate, 1 hit LSD; Lawing the Mown
- Experience:Unknown dosage - My experiences with LSD and anorexia/bulemia
- Experience:Unknown dose - Supermarket dislocation and biking
- Responsible use
- Subjective effects index
- Anxiety suppression
- Deliriants - Subjective effects
- Psychedelics - Subjective effects
- Dissociatives - Subjective effects
- Survey of Nootropics (Anxiety / no Anxiety comparison)
- http://m-w.com/dictionary/panic%20attack | Panic attack - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Panic disorder | http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000924.htm
- Hyperventilation | http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hyperventilation-topic-overview