Feelings of impending doom
Feelings of impending doom can be described as sudden sensations of overwhelming fear and urgency based upon the unfounded belief that a negative event is about to occur in the immediate future. These expected negative events typically include some kind of medical emergency, a person's death, or the world coming to an end. This effect can be the result of real evidence, but is usually based on an unfounded delusion or negative hallucinations. The intensity of these feelings can range from subtle to overwhelming enough to trigger panic attacks and a strong sense of urgency.
Feelings of impending doom are often accompanied by other coinciding effects such as anxiety, panic attacks, and unspeakable horrors. They are most commonly induced under the influence of heavy dosages of hallucinogenic compounds, such as psychedelics, dissociatives, and deliriants. However, they can also occur during medical issues, cardiac arrest, mental illness, or interpersonal problems.
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
- Psilocybin mushrooms
- Salvinorin A
Annectdotal reports which describe this effect with our experience index include:
- Experience:120µg LSD - First Bad Acid Trip, Psychosis
- Experience:17mg 3-MeO-PCP & Cannabis oil - Terrifying confusion
- Experience:3 Grams of Mushrooms - Reset on my Life, Experiencing Satori and the Cosmic Perspective
- Experience:3-MeO-PCP - Extreme psychosis
- Experience:300µg ETH-LAD - Turned Inside Out
- Experience:300μg 1P-LSD + 40mg diphenidine - My first psychotic break
- Experience:4 Days Sleep Deprivation - Progression of Sleep Deprivation Visuals Over Time
- Experience:DPH (750 mg) - The Dancing Invisible Men Come to Life!
- Experience:DXM and Cannabis: 100mg - Unexpected Strong Trip
- Experience:Datura Alcoholic Tincture
- Experience:Mushrooms (~0.5 g) - Autonomous Voice
- Experience:Nightmare flipping
- Experience:Unknown Dose DOC (Insufflated) - Overdosing and Terifying Ego Death
- Experience:Unknown dose - Supermarket dislocation and biking
- Experience:~150mg MDA(oral) - a case of mistaken identity