|Summary sheet: BOD|
|Common names||DMT, Dimethyltryptamine, Dmitri|
|Routes of Administration|
4-methyl-2,5,beta-trimethoxyphenethylamine (also known as BOD ) is a lesser-known psychedelic and entactogen substance of the phenethylamine class. BOD is a member of the BOx family of compounds which are relatively unknown, and have only recently found sales in the research chemical community.
BOD was first synthesized and tested by Alexander Shulgin. It gained little popularity and even by 2019 it is still relatively unknown.From the few reports of it, BOD seems to be very much like the DOx family compounds in terms of it being dose sensitive, long lasting, intense, and very stimulating albeit much less potent. However, its chemical structure is related to compounds of the trimethoxyamphetamine class, and it may share a similar pharmacological profile to both.
History and culture
BOD was first synthesized and tested by Alexander Shulgin. It gained little popularity and even by 2019 it is still relatively unknown. In 1991, the synthesis and pharmacology of BOD was published in Shulgin's book PiHKAL ("Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved").. Since 1991 the substance has occasionally been reported on but very few people had been using it until around 2018-2019.
BOD, or 4-methyl-2,5,beta-trimethoxyphenethylamine is a molecule of the substituted phenethylamine class. BOD was the first BOx compound shulgin studied and it is the beta-methoxy analog of 2cd. Shulgin only looked into 4 BOx compounds of which only BOB and BOD were found to have psychedelic and entacteogenic effects.
Most users describe BOD as being clearheaded and lucid at lower doses, in ways reminiscent of most 2cx's. At higher doses however the experience can become highly intense and in some cases produces unique effects which are not found in other psychedelics. Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), a research literature based on anecdotal reports and the personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be regarded with a healthy degree of skepticism. It is worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely with higher doses and may include addiction, serious injury, or death.
The body load on BOD is relatively light, it is more comparable to LSD than to DOx compounds.
You may select physical effects to add below here.
- Stimulation - The stimulation produced by BOD is strong and noticeable and encourages one to move around and do physical activities while still being not forced so that one can simply sit down and watch something and not feel the urge to move, it is very much like substances such as 2C-B, or LSD.
- Spontaneous physical sensations - The body high of BOD is often described as being dose sensitive, with medium to higher doses producing strong overwhelming sensations of tingling and pleasurable feelings. At the highest level the sensations can be subjectively felt as though one can feel every single nerve ending on their body and the tingling becomes a feeling of the minute chemical reactions between outside particles and the individual cells.
- Increased bodily temperature - BOD increases ones body temperature in a way unlike most psychedelics and as an effect of this there is very strong perspiration. However anecdotally the sensation while uncomfortable can be easily stopped by applying antiperspirants. As well, being outside or in a place with air circulation makes the sensation barely noticeable.
- Appetite enhancement - In contrast to stimulating psychedelics such as LSD, DOM or 2C-B BOD increases one's appetite in a way that while not forced, makes it very easy to be eating something especially if one is sitting down or relaxing.
The visual effects of BOD are more consistent and reproducible in a way comparable to DOM, or 2C-B. This effect becomes quite pronounced at higher doses as the cognitive effects and physical effects seem to combine with the visual producing a state that is unique among psychedelics.
- Drifting (melting, flowing, breathing and morphing) - In comparison to other psychedelics, this effect can be described as highly detailed, fast in motion, analytical and realistic in nature.
- Brightness alteration
- Colour shifting
- Depth perception distortions
- Perspective distortions
- Symmetrical texture repetition
- After images
- Scenery slicing
The geometry of BOD can be described as being more like 2C-B, LSD, or DOM, than to psychedelic mushrooms, LSA in terms of its appearence. It is highly intricate and synthetic, algorithmic in nature with sharp edges and a structured appearence. It is highly smooth varies with many colors and brightness, at higher doses the geometry completely makes up ones field of view and is consistent in its shapes and designs. At strong enough doses BOD consistenly produces level 8A geometry which becomes not only visual but multisensory.
The visual effects of BOD are much more reproducible and common than many other psychedelics.
- Internal hallucinations (autonomous entities; settings, sceneries, and landscapes; perspective hallucinations and scenarios and plots) - In comparison to other psychedelics such as LSD, BOD is extremely high in internal hallucinations when approaching higher dosages. They are more common within dark environments and can be comprehensibly described through its variations as lucid in believability, interactive in style, new experiences in content, autonomous in controllability, geometry-based in style and almost exclusively of a personal, religious, spiritual, science-fiction, fantasy, surreal, nonsensical or transcendental nature in their overall theme.
- External hallucinations - These are often present during the peak and can are almost entirely geometry-based in style, with very little theme to them unlike the internal hallucinations. Due to BOD's long length the comedown of the substance can cause sleep deprivation which may lead to shadow people, and unspeakable horrors
The Headspace of BOD can be described as analytical, lucid, with the capability at higher doses of becoming very intense. Anecdotally reports have said that higher doses produce a state of confusion that while still euphoric is very intense while lower doses do not seem to induce those effects.
You may select from a list of cognitive effects to add below here.
- Empathy, affection and sociability enhancement -The entactogenic effects of BOD are much more pronounced than most psychedelics, and while not as strong as MDMA, are stronger than other similar psychedelics, and are enough to produce therapeutic effects for certain people.
- Increased sense of humor -This is one of the more noticeable effects of BOD, and is more pronounced than most psychedelics. Strangely it is very similar to the effects of cannabinoids such as cannabis
- Emotion enhancement -While BOD produces a mostly euphoric state, like most psychedelics the high can change quite rapidly from euphoric to dysphoric merely due to emotional changes. This is an intense state which is less controllable than in other clear headed psychedelics and can feel quite strange and scary if one is unprepared.
- Analysis enhancement
- Conceptual thinking
- Immersion enhancement
- Novelty enhancement
- Increased music appreciation
- Memory suppression
- Personal bias suppression-
- Thought acceleration
- Thought connectivity
- Time distortion
- The auditory effects of BOD are very pronounced, much like many other psychedelics but due to the synaesthesic effects of BOD, they subjectively can feel quite different.
- The synaesthesic effects of BOD, are an intense and more reproducible effect than in substances like LSD LSD the synaesthesia produce by BOD is much more intense and can be overwhelming. At its highest level it becomes a state much more profound than in most other synaesthesic compounds.
- These effects are likely very rare, and the only person who as of 2019 has reported it took a much higher dose than most people would be taking. Caution is advised. LSD. These realizations can sometimes feel much more intensee than one might normally want from a trip and as such care must be taken to always have a person one can talk to due to the intensity of the realizations.
There are currently 0 experience reports which describe the effects of this substance in our experience index.
Additional experience reports can be found here:
Toxicity and harm potential
This toxicity and harm potential section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or even dangerously wrong information. You can help by expanding or correcting it.
BOD has had such a limited history of us that as of 2019 while certain individuals are able to use as high as 70mg, and given the reduced potency compared to other long lasting psychedelic it is most likely BOD has a toxicity profile comparable to the 2Cx compounds. However given its strong dose response curve, the little information about the substance, and the long come up. It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this substance.
The highest dose consumed of BOD that has been reported so far is around 70mg. BOD has very little likihood of being a full agonist of 5-HT2A but that does not mean it is a purely safe psychedelic. While most dose ranges display common doses at 20-30mg, due to the substances response curve and its slow come up, the dose information currently available may not be correct, as other subtances Shulgin studied he found inactive were actually active at much higher doses.
Tolerance and addiction potential
This dangerous interactions section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or invalid information. You can help by expanding upon or correcting it.
Although many psychoactive substances are reasonably safe to use on their own, they can suddenly become dangerous or even life-threatening when combined with other substances. The following list includes some known dangerous combinations (although it is not guaranteed to include all of them). Independent research (e.g. Google, DuckDuckGo) should always be conducted to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe to consume. Some of the listed interactions have been sourced from TripSit.
- Tramadol - Tramadol lowers the seizure threshold and psychedelics may act as triggers for seizures, particularly in those who are predisposed to them.
- Stimulants - Stimulants affect many parts of the brain. Combined with psychedelics, stimulation can turn into uncontrollable anxiety, panic, thought loops and paranoia. This interaction may cause elevated risk of psychosis.
- Lithium - Lithium is often used as treatment for bipolar disorder. It may possibly cause elevated risk of seizures and psychosis due to its glutaminergic and GABAergic effects.
- Serotonin Syndrome - Although no research has shown any possible serotonin syndrome risks, given the fact that BOD has been studied so little it is advised
This legality section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or wrong information. You can help by expanding it.
- United States: BOD is currently unscheduled in the United States, however it due to its chemical similarity to 2c-d it may be charged under the federal analog act if being purchased for human consumption.
- APA formatted reference
Please see the citation formatting guide if you need assistance properly formatting citations.
- APA formatted citation.
- Shulgin, Alexander (1991). PiHKAL: A Chemical Love Story. Berkeley, CA: Transform Press. pp. 53–56.
- Talaie, H., Panahandeh, R., Fayaznouri, M. R., Asadi, Z., & Abdollahi, M. (2009). Dose-independent occurrence of seizure with tramadol. Journal of medical toxicology, 5(2), 63-67. doi:10.1007/BF03161089