|Common names||3-CMC, Clophedrone|
|Psychoactive class||Stimulant / Entactogen|
|Routes of Administration|
3-Chloromethcathinone (also known as 3-CMC or clophedrone ) is a novel stimulant-entactogen substance of the cathinone class. It is the analogue of the neurotoxic 4-CA and structurally closely related to the antidepressant and anti-addictive medication bupropion. The complete working has not been fully studied, however it is known to promote the release of dopamine and serotonin. 
3-CMC has been sold online on the research chemical market as a designer drug since 2013 in mainly European countries. 3-CMC has been marketed as the legal successor of 3-MMC in the Netherlands since its ban in oktober 2021 .
The subjective effects are reported to be similar, but weaker, to those of 3-MMC. This mostly includes stimulation, anxiety suppression, disinhibition, enhanced empathy and sociability, relaxation, increased libido, and euphoria. It is also reported to be subject to compulsive redosing and habitual use.
Since the related 4-CA and 4-CMC are known neurotoxins and research shows that 3-CMC is neurotoxic in mice. It is highly advised to be avoided or use harm reduction practices if still planning on using this substance.
- WRZESIEŃ, W., STANASZEK, R., ZUBA, D., BYRSKA, B. (2018). Clandestine laboratory producing mephedrone (4-MMC) and Clephedrone (4-CMC) – substance, identification and hazard analysis, 40, 287-309. http://www.forensicscience.pl/pfs/115_Wrzesien_m.pdf.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (2022). PubChem Bioassay Record for AID 1224711, Source: ChEMBL. Retrieved January 16, 2022 from https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioassay/1224711.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (2022). PubChem Bioassay Record for AID 1224713, Source: ChEMBL. Retrieved January 16, 2022 from https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioassay/1224713.
- Odoardi S, Romolo FS, Strano-Rossi S (August 2016). "A snapshot on NPS in Italy: Distribution of drugs in seized materials analysed in an Italian forensic laboratory in the period 2013-2015". Forensic Science International. 265: 116–20. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2016.01.037. PMID 26874736.
- Tactus Verslavingszorg is bezorgd, want de verboden partydrug 3-MMC heeft al een legale opvolger: 3-CMC
- Wojcieszak, Jakub & Kuczyńska, Katarzyna & Zawilska, Jolanta. (2020). Four Synthetic Cathinones: 3-Chloromethcathinone, 4-Chloromethcathinone, 4-Fluoro-α-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone, and 4-Methoxy-α-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone Produce Changes in the Spontaneous Locomotor Activity and Motor Performance in Mice with Varied Profiles. Neurotoxicity Research. 38. 10.1007/s12640-020-00227-8.