3-CMC has the potential to cause serious injury and death.
Ten deaths have been confirmed via biological samples from using this substance. Six are from polydrug use (alcohol, opioids, synthetic cannabinoids and benzodiazepines). It is strongly discouraged to take higher doses of this substance or to insufflate (snort) it.
|Common names||3-CMC, Clophedrone, Crystal|
|Psychoactive class||Stimulant / Entactogen|
|Routes of Administration|
3-Chloromethcathinone (also known as 3-CMC or clophedrone ) is a novel stimulant-entactogen substance of the cathinone class. It is the analogue of 3-Chloromethamphetamine (3-CMA) and structurally closely related to the antidepressant and anti-addictive medication bupropion. The complete working has not been fully studied, however it is known to promote the release of dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin just like other Methcathinone substances. 
3-CMC has been sold online on the research chemical market as a designer drug since 2013 in mainly European countries. 3-CMC has been marketed as the legal successor of 3-MMC in the Netherlands since its ban in October 2021 .
The subjective effects are reported to be similar, but weaker, to those of 3-MMC. This mostly includes stimulation, anxiety suppression, disinhibition, enhanced empathy and sociability, relaxation, increased libido, and euphoria. It is also reported to be subject to compulsive redosing which can lead to psychosis and habitual use.
The related 4-CMC is a known neurotoxin, and research shows that 3-CMC is neurotoxic in mice. If 3-CMC's mechanism of action is inherently neurotoxic then damage to human health may be incurred even at moderate recreational doses. Anecdotal reports mention highly concerning cardiovascular and neurological symptoms after frequent or common-high dose use, which seem to confirm this suspicion. As such it is advised to avoid completely, and to use excessive harm reduction practices if planning on using this substance.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), an open research literature based on anecdotal user reports and the personal analyses of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be viewed with a healthy degree of skepticism.
It is also worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become increasingly likely with higher doses and may include addiction, severe injury, or death ☠.
- Stimulation - The stimulation is heavily increased when combined with alcohol however this is not recommended for harm reduction. At higher doses the stimulation becomes less pronounced.
- Spontaneous bodily sensations
- Physical euphoria - This is more present in heavy doses or with oral dosing.
- Appetite suppression
- Teeth grinding - The user usually only have this effect during the first dose, unless redoses are increasingly higher.
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Vasoconstriction - This is reported to be less pronounced with an oral ROA at low - medium doses.
- Cognitive euphoria - This effect, just like the physical euphoria, but thought to be exhibited to a higher degree when dosing orally.
- Compulsive redosing - Be careful with redosing this substance as it can lead to extreme cases of vasoconstriction.
- Focus enhancement
- Increased libido
- Decreased libido *Increased music appreciation
- Uncomfortable physical effects
- Memory suppression - After a few doses, memory becomes impaired in fashion to the MDMA comedown, if more doses are ingested it can be hard to even remember what you are talking about mid sentence.
- Motivation enhancement
- Thought acceleration
- Thought organization
- Time distortion
- Confusion - This can be described as being "fried" and it can be hard to even form thoughts properly. This effect usually appears at higher dosage after the first or second peak has passed.
- Appetite suppression
- Cognitive fatigue
- Low blood pressure - This effect is reported by some experience reports, the cathinone family's known vasoconstriction coupled with this can lead to numbness and pale face and hands.
- Christie, R., Duque, P., Evans-Brown, M., Gallegos, A., Jorge, R., De Morais, J., Planchuelo, G., Sedefov, R. (26 August 2022). "EMCDDA initial report on the new psychoactive substance 1-(3-chlorophenyl)-2-(methylamino) propan-1-one (3-chloromethcathinone, 3-CMC)" (PDF). European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA). ISSN 2600-0954.
- WRZESIEŃ, W., STANASZEK, R., ZUBA, D., BYRSKA, B. (2018). Clandestine laboratory producing mephedrone (4-MMC) and Clephedrone (4-CMC) – substance, identification and hazard analysis, 40, 287-309. http://www.forensicscience.pl/pfs/115_Wrzesien_m.pdf.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (2022). PubChem Bioassay Record for AID 1224711, Source: ChEMBL. Retrieved January 16, 2022 from https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioassay/1224711.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (2022). PubChem Bioassay Record for AID 1224713, Source: ChEMBL. Retrieved January 16, 2022 from https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioassay/1224713.
- Odoardi S, Romolo FS, Strano-Rossi S (August 2016). "A snapshot on NPS in Italy: Distribution of drugs in seized materials analyzed in an Italian forensic laboratory in the period 2013-2015". Forensic Science International. 265: 116–20. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2016.01.037. PMID 26874736.
- Tactus Verslavingszorg is bezorgd, want de verboden partydrug 3-MMC heeft al een legale opvolger: 3-CMC
- Wojcieszak, Jakub & Kuczyńska, Katarzyna & Zawilska, Jolanta. (2020). Four Synthetic Cathinones: 3-Chloromethcathinone, 4-Chloromethcathinone, 4-Fluoro-α-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone, and 4-Methoxy-α-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone Produce Changes in the Spontaneous Locomotor Activity and Motor Performance in Mice with Varied Profiles. Neurotoxicity Research. 38. 10.1007/s12640-020-00227-8.