This page has not been approved by the PsychonautWiki administrators.
|Summary sheet: Methcathinone|
|Common names||Methcathinone, Ephedrone, Methcat, Cat, Jeff, MC|
|Psychoactive class||Stimulant / Entactogen|
|Routes of Administration|
Methcathinone (also known as Ephedrone, Methcat, CAT) is a synthetic stimulant substance of the cathinone chemical class. It produces standard amphetamine-like stimulant effects. It is similar to the cathinone compounds found in the khat plant of eastern Africa and mephedrone in its structure and effects.
Methcathinone was first synthesised in 1928 in the USA and it was used in the Soviet Union as an antidepressant. It is common in central and eastern Europe, often sold as the more well known mephedrone or synthesized from OTC drugs containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine.
Methcathinone is comprised of a phenethylamine core featuring a phenyl ring bound to an amino (NH2) group through an ethyl chain containing a beta-ketone group (what is known as a cathinone molecule) with an additional methyl substitution at Rα. It can be thought of as the cathinone homolog of methamphetamine as it has the same general formula, differing only in the addition of a single double bonded oxygen.
Although the effects of methcathinone have not been formally studied on the same level as amphetamines, it is possible to speculate that like other simple substituted cathinone, it most likely acts primarily as a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. The result of this is an effective increase in the levels of the norepinephrine and dopamine neurotransmitters in the brain by binding to and partially blocking the transporter proteins that normally clear those monoamines from the synaptic cleft. This allows dopamine and norepinephrine to accumulate within the key area of the brain linked to reward and pleasure to extra-endogenous levels, resulting in stimulating, motivatory and euphoric effects.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), a research literature based on anecdotal reports and the personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be regarded with a healthy degree of skepticism. It is worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely with higher doses and may include addiction, serious injury, or death.
- Dehydration - The Dehydration that is experienced during a methcathinone experience is generally more severe than with other stimulants like Amphetamine. Due to this, you must take extreme care and hydrate yourself constantly, so that you do not suffer from Rhabdomyolysis. This is done generally by observing your body, if there is any pain, if your kidneys feel weird, and if your urine is yellow to green-yellow like tea. Read the wiki and inform yourself on rhabdomyolysis since it is a very bad thing to have, you could die from it if it is severe enough and untreated over long time. Generally you can mitigate it by seeing if your urine is yellow, then if it is, and you do not urinate regularly drink a glass of water every 15 or 30 minutes (as long as you don't drink too much and hurt yourself) and your urine should become clear. As Long as you keep hydrating yourself your kidneys will be normal and functioning and you will be good, keep drinking water constantly after it becomes clear, for some few more hours but a bit less amount wise so that you don't have the problem again.
- Increased heart rate - The increase in heart rate is generally weaker than with other stimulants like Methamphetamine.
- Increased perspiration - The amount of perspiration is very high. You will sweat extremely easily in hot places and if you do any physical activity. Mixing Methcathinone with DXM will make you drip drops of sweat literally all the time. Hydrate yourself due to this increased perspiration or you will lose a large amount of water very fast.
- Muscle contractions - These sudden muscle contractions are experienced during the comedown. This is due to the deficiency of Dopamine in the brain, which replicates symptoms to Parkinson's disease. These tremors are temporary and will subside within a few hours.]]
- Teeth grinding - This component can be considered to be less intense when compared with that of MDMA.
The cognitive effects of Methcathinone can be broken down into several components which progressively intensify proportional to dosage.
The most prominent of these cognitive effects generally include:
- Analysis enhancement
- Cognitive euphoria
- Compulsive redosing
- Empathy, love, and sociability enhancement - This particular effect, although distinct, is far less prominent than the same effect found within traditional entactogens such as MDMA or 2C-B.
- Focus enhancement
- Increased libido or Decreased libido
- Increased music appreciation
- Memory enhancement
- Motivation enhancement
- Thought acceleration
- Thought organization
- Time distortion
- The effects which occur during the offset of a stimulant experience generally feel negative and uncomfortable in comparison to the effects which occurred during its peak. This is often referred to as a "comedown" and occurs because of neurotransmitter depletion. Its effects commonly include:
How to Dose Properly
Methcathinone is amazing if used correctly. If you misuse it you will feel the compulsive need to redose mainly, and have a mostly negative experience. It has a short peak and then comedown. You need to eighter redose properly to extend it or to leave it alone for today. When you take a dosage of Methcathinone, per say 350mg, you have to redose 25 mins later as a 40-50% of the first dose. So you don't comedown.
Its really worth to redose once since actually it will be only a 45 min ride and the 4 hours comedown hell. Gradually decreasing the dose instead aka a redose will make it a ton more manageable. You can then redose another 40% or leave it. But don't redose more than twice.
What I recommend for the comedown is that 60mins after you redosed last to take 20% of the first dose. Then to stop. That's the best method to not have a huge comedown.
For a mild stimulating experience, take a light dose first, then redose with a medium dose, then as a final, a medium or medium-high dose. Space the doses out more.
Methcathinone is synthesised most easily by reacting Pseudoephedrine with KMnO4. The reaction is very specific though. A very specific temperature needs to be achieved, below zero, so that the oxidation is subtle and not too energetic, so that it does not destroy the Pseudoephedrine and make it into Benzaldehyde. The same goes for the amount of KMnO4, it has to be a specific ratio of oxidizer to Pseudoephedrine.
- Responsible use
- 3-MMC (3-methylmethcathinone)
Anecdotal reports which describe the effects of this compound within our experience index include:
- Methcathinone (Wikipedia)
- Cathinone & Methcathinone (Erowid Vault)
- Methcathinone (Isomer Design)
- Methcathinone Subreddit
- Cathinone derivatives: A review of their chemistry, pharmacology and toxicology | DOI 10.1002/dta.31