|Summary sheet: Methcathinone|
|Common names||Methcathinone, Ephedrone, Methcat, Cat, Jeff, MC|
|Psychoactive class||Stimulant / Entactogen|
|Routes of Administration|
Methcathinone (also known as Ephedrone originally, Methcat and CAT) is a synthetic stimulant substance of the cathinone chemical class. It produces standard amphetamine-like stimulant effects. It is similar to the cathinone compounds found in the khat plant of eastern Africa and mephedrone in its structure and effects.
Methcathinone was first synthesised in 1928 in the USA and it was used in the Soviet Union as an antidepressant. It is common in central and eastern Europe, often sold as the more well known mephedrone or synthesized from OTC drugs containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine.
Methcathinone is comprised of a phenethylamine core featuring a phenyl ring bound to an amino (NH2) group through an ethyl chain containing a beta-ketone group (what is known as a cathinone molecule) with an additional methyl substitution at Rα. It can be thought of as the cathinone homolog of methamphetamine as it has the same general formula, differing only in the addition of a single double bonded oxygen.
Although the effects of methcathinone have not been formally studied on the same level as amphetamines, it is possible to speculate that like other simple substituted cathinone, it most likely acts primarily as a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. The result of this is an effective increase in the levels of the norepinephrine and dopamine neurotransmitters in the brain by binding to and partially blocking the transporter proteins that normally clear those monoamines from the synaptic cleft. This allows dopamine and norepinephrine to accumulate within the key area of the brain linked to reward and pleasure to extra-endogenous levels, resulting in stimulating, motivatory and euphoric effects.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), an open research literature based on anecdotal user reports and the personal analyses of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be viewed with a healthy degree of skepticism.
It is also worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become increasingly likely with higher doses and may include addiction, severe injury, or death ☠.
- Stimulation - Methcathinone is reported to be extremely stimulating and energetic. The style of stimulation can be described as "forced". This means that at higher doses, it becomes difficult or impossible to keep still as jaw clenching, involuntarily body shakes and vibrations become present.
- Physical euphoria - Physical euphoria is very prominent when used responsibly (i.e. reasonable dosing and spacing between experiences) and can lead to profound feelings of social and physical disinhibition.
- Dehydration - The Dehydration that is experienced during a methcathinone experience is generally more severe than with other stimulants like Amphetamine. Due to this, you must take extreme care and hydrate yourself constantly, so that you do not suffer from Rhabdomyolysis. This is done generally by observing your body, if there is any pain, if your kidneys feel weird, and if your urine is yellow to green-yellow like tea. Read the wiki and inform yourself on rhabdomyolysis since it is a very bad thing to have, you could die from it if it is severe enough and untreated over long time. Generally you can mitigate it by seeing if your urine is yellow, then if it is, and you do not urinate regularly drink a glass of water every 15 or 30 minutes (as long as you don't drink too much and hurt yourself) and your urine should become clear. As Long as you keep hydrating yourself your kidneys will be normal and functioning and you will be good, keep drinking water constantly after it becomes clear, for some few more hours but a bit less amount wise so that you don't have the problem again.
- Increased heart rate - The increase in heart rate is generally weaker than with other stimulants like Methamphetamine.
- Increased perspiration - The amount of perspiration is very high. You will sweat extremely easily in hot places and if you do any physical activity. Mixing Methcathinone with DXM will make you drip drops of sweat literally all the time. Hydrate yourself due to this increased perspiration or you will lose a large amount of water very fast.
- Increased blood pressure -
- Muscle contractions - These sudden muscle contractions are experienced during the comedown. This is due to the deficiency of Dopamine in the brain, which replicates symptoms to Parkinson's disease. These tremors are temporary and will subside within a few hours.
- Muscle spasms - Typically occurs during the Comedown. This is due to depletion of Dopamine in the brain.
- Spontaneous physical sensations - The "body high" of Methcathinone can be characterized as a moderate to extreme euphoric sensation that encompasses the entire body. It is capable of becoming overwhelmingly pleasurable at higher doses. This sensation maintains a consistent presence that steadily rises with the onset and hits its limit once the peak has been reached. -
- Stomach cramps -
- Tactile enhancement
- Teeth grinding - This effect when experienced alongside euphoria can often lead to users mildly or intensely clenching their jaw muscles, sometimes even to the point where the individual’s facial expression begins to change. This is sometimes colloquially called “gurning” and is typically only experienced in common to high dosages.
- Vasoconstriction -
The cognitive effects of Methcathinone can be broken down into several components which progressively intensify proportional to dosage.
The most prominent of these cognitive effects generally include:
- Analysis enhancement
- Cognitive euphoria - Methcathinone is extremely stimulating and energetic.
- Compulsive redosing
- Empathy, love, and sociability enhancement - This particular effect, although distinct, is far less prominent than the same effect found within traditional entactogens such as MDMA or 2C-B.
- Focus enhancement
- Increased libido or Decreased libido
- Increased music appreciation
- Memory enhancement
- Motivation enhancement
- Thought acceleration
- Thought organization
- Time distortion
- The effects which occur during the offset of a stimulant experience generally feel negative and uncomfortable in comparison to the effects which occurred during its peak. This is often referred to as a "comedown" and occurs because of neurotransmitter depletion. Its effects commonly include:
Toxicity and harm potencial
Dependence and abuse potential
Methcathinone, due to its highly addictive nature, can often cause extreme compulsive redosing.
It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this substance.
Internationally, methcathinone is a Schedule I controlled substance under the United Nations 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances.
- Australia: Methcathinone is a Schedule 9 controlled substance.
- Responsible use
- 3-MMC (3-methylmethcathinone)
Anecdotal reports which describe the effects of this compound within our experience index include:
- Methcathinone (Wikipedia)
- Cathinone & Methcathinone (Erowid Vault)
- Methcathinone (Isomer Design)
- Methcathinone Subreddit
- Cathinone derivatives: A review of their chemistry, pharmacology and toxicology | DOI 10.1002/dta.31
- "POISONS STANDARD DECEMBER 2019". Office of Parliamentary Counsel. Retrieved December 19, 2019.