|Summary sheet: L-Dopa|
|Common names||DMT, Dimethyltryptamine, Dmitri|
|Routes of Administration|
L-dopa is an amino acid and precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine, and is used to treat Parkinson's diseaae, and is also sold as a dietary supplement in parts of the world and typically used as a nootropic, to reduce symptoms of mental disorders such as ADHD and social anxiety, and sometimes as a recreational stimulant.
History and culture
This History and culture section is a stub.
As a result, it may contain incomplete or wrong information. You can help by expanding it.
L-dopa is the endogenous precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine, and is directly converted to dopamine in the body and brain when administered. Dopamine is converted to norepinephrine, meaning L-dopa increases dopamine and to a lesser extent norepinephrine and epinephrine.
|This subjective effects section is a stub.|
As such, it is still in progress and may contain incomplete or wrong information.
You can help by expanding or correcting it.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), an open research literature based on anecdotal user reports and the personal analyses of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be viewed with a healthy degree of skepticism.
It is also worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become increasingly likely with higher doses and may include addiction, severe injury, or death ☠.
- If applicable, a brief paragraph summary of the substance's physical effects may be included here. You may select physical effects to add below here.
If applicable, a brief paragraph summary of the substance's cognitive effects may be included here.
You may select from a list of cognitive effects to add below here.
- Increased music appreciation
- Thought acceleration
- Thought connectivity
- Cognitive euphoria
- Increased libido
- Focus enhancement
- Motivation enhancement
- Wakefulness or Sleepiness - L-dopa typically promotes wakefulness, but can occasionally cause sleepiness, typically only at high doses
- Creativity enhancement
- Empathy, affection, and sociability enhancement - L-dopa tends to increase talkativeness and interest in social interaction
- Irritability - This effect typically only occurs at high doses or after a period of consistent use. Very high doses of L-dopa can be dangerous due to the potential for it to produce extreme irritability and anger, and there have been cases of L-dopa misuse leading to violence when taken at very high doses
- Disinhibition - L-dopa can increase impulsive and addictive behaviors in some individuals, and gambling or sex addictions occasionally develop in patients being treated with L-dopa
- Anxiety suppression or Anxiety - L-dopa typically suppresses anxiety, especially social anxiety. However, some individuals report anxiety from taking L-dopa, particularly when taken at high doses or after a period of consistent use
- Cognitive dysphoria - This effect can occur at high doses
There are currently 0 experience reports which describe the effects of this substance in our experience index.
Additional experience reports can be found here:
Toxicity and harm potential
This toxicity and harm potential section is a stub.
As a result, it may contain incomplete or even dangerously wrong information! You can help by expanding upon or correcting it.
It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this substance.
Tolerance and addiction potential
This dangerous interactions section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or invalid information. You can help by expanding upon or correcting it.
Warning: Many psychoactive substances that are reasonably safe to use on their own can suddenly become dangerous and even life-threatening when combined with certain other substances. The following list provides some known dangerous interactions (although it is not guaranteed to include all of them).
Always conduct independent research (e.g. Google, DuckDuckGo, PubMed) to ensure that a combination of two or more substances is safe to consume. Some of the listed interactions have been sourced from TripSit.
This legality section is a stub.
As such, it may contain incomplete or wrong information. You can help by expanding it.
(List along order below)
- SUBSTANCE (Wikipedia)
- SUBSTANCE (Erowid Vault)
- SUBSTANCE ([PiHKAL or TiHKAL] / Isomer Design)
- APA formatted reference
Please see the citation formatting guide if you need assistance properly formatting citations.
- APA formatted citation.