Unspeakable horrors can be described as the experience of prolonged exposure to ineffable scenarios and hallucinatory content of a scary and disturbing nature which are often directly influenced by one's fears. This can occur during high dose hallucinogenic experiences, particularly those in which the user is currently undergoing negative emotional stress and personal problems of an introspective nature.
Although the content which comprises these states are generally indescribable and largely dependent upon the fears of those who experience them, certain themes and archetypes often manifest themselves. These are not limited to but may consist of:
- Scenarios and plots of an intrinsically sinister and threatening nature - This can include scenes of suffering directed towards oneself or other people such as being tortured, scenes in which one is being hunted as prey by "evil" creatures or forces and the direct experience of personal fears.
- Settings, sceneries, and landscapes of an intrinsically sinister and threatening nature - This can include the visitation of hellish landscapes, ancient monolithic Lovecraftian architecture, and ruined civilizations.
- Autonomous entities of an intrinsically sinister and threatening nature - This can include demons, deformed monstrosities, hooded figures, mocking entities and otherwise normal human beings deformed by severe injury or illness.
- Machinescapes of an intrinsically sinister and threatening nature - This can be described as functionally identical to the experience of machinescapes. It differs in that its comprising parts often almost exclusively consist of indescribably complex interlocking, ever-shifting biomechanical gore, organs, disembowelments, and body parts.
- Geometry of an intrinsically sinister and threatening nature - The hallucinatory states listed above are commonly comprised of and embedded within standard hallucinogenic geometry. This often contains innately readable geometric representations of pure conceptual fear, horror, and suffering which can be felt through all of the senses as they are perceived.
- Fearing for the fabric of one's sanity - This can be described as feelings that one's current perception is so horrific that they will surely be left permanently insane with severe psychological damage. The effect can leave people with an immediate sense that ordinary life is a thin shell over a comparatively horrifying reality which cannot be dismissed or escaped from. It is worth noting, however, that although stressful, this effect rarely actually leaves individuals with lasting psychological problems.
The experience of this component and how it is interpreted by those who undergo it seems to differ wildly between people. While most individuals can find this state to be traumatizing if unprepared, many people find that, although terrifying, it is potentially exhilarating and character building in equal measure. To ensure that one does not find themselves in this state unwittingly, heavy dosages of hallucinogens should be avoided without prior practice, and a person should always work their way up to the higher levels from lower dosages in small increments as they feel comfortable doing so.
Unspeakable horrors are often accompanied by other coinciding effects such as anxiety, psychosis and memory suppression. They are most commonly induced under the influence of heavy dosages of psychedelic compounds, such as LSD, psilocybin, and 2C-P. However, they can also occur under the influence of deliriants such as DPH, datura, and benzydamine.
Lovecraft's Nightmare by Michael Whelan1,000 × 611
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński681 × 800
Paradise lost clean by emaydani1,024 × 768
Untitled by Adrian Grajdeanu857 × 1,200
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński835 × 1,024
C-demon by Alex Reis1,024 × 683
Vigilant Jester by Tesper600 × 909
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński753 × 1,024
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński443 × 600
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński1,793 × 1,760
A merging to the boundless by Star Gazer500 × 667
Landschaft by H.R. Giger1,024 × 768
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński1,771 × 1,433
Prometheus by H.R. Giger1,624 × 1,080
The spell by H.R. Giger1,394 × 800
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński1,454 × 1,780
National park by H.R. Giger1,232 × 1,743
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński619 × 768
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński570 × 480
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński876 × 1,016
Hatheg-Kla by MOracz894 × 894
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński566 × 700
Abrogation by Chaos inception960 × 951
Untitled by Zdzisław Beksiński446 × 600
Compounds within our psychoactive substance index which may cause this effect include:
Anecdotal reports which describe this effect within our experience index include:
- Experience: 18 mg 2C-I - Visually intense and strong bodily sensations
- Experience:5g Mushrooms - Failed attempt at a Terence Mckenna style trip.
- Experience:700mg Diphenhydramine trip
- Experience:Dem Shadow People and Such (A Retrospective)
- Experience:My DOB Nightmare