Steroids also known as anabolic–androgenic steroids (AAS), are steroidal androgens that include natural androgens like testosterone as well as synthetic androgens that are structurally related and have similar effects to testosterone.
AAS are now used therapeutically in medicine to stimulate muscle growth and appetite, induce male puberty and treat chronic wasting conditions, such as cancer and AIDS. The American College of Sports Medicine acknowledges that AAS, in the presence of adequate diet, can contribute to increases in body weight, often as lean mass increases and that the gains in muscular strength achieved through high-intensity exercise and proper diet can be additionally increased by the use of AAS in some individuals.
Disclaimer: The effects listed below cite the Subjective Effect Index (SEI), a research literature based on anecdotal reports and the personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. As a result, they should be regarded with a healthy degree of skepticism. It is worth noting that these effects will not necessarily occur in a predictable or reliable manner, although higher doses are more liable to induce the full spectrum of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely with higher doses and may include addiction, serious injury, or death.
These compounds can be described as conferring a great deal of physical stimulation and stamina, and sometimes mental stimulation.
- Stimulation - The stimulation which AAS present can be considered as subtle, yet persistent and energetic comparable to that of caffeine, yet even less forced in nature.
- Perception of bodily lightness - AAS may have a large effect on increasing overall weight, often due to water retention. Rather than altering perception, manifests itself in a physical bodily change. The degree of increase is dosage-dependent.
- Headaches - This happens usally as a consequence of water retention or blood pressure
- Muscle spasms
- Stomach cramps
- Dehydration - Very Androgenic AAS can cause a shift in the estrogen balance leading to dehydration
- Euphoria - The Euphoria which AAS can present can be considered subtle inn comparison to that of psychoactive substances, this is more often present in DHT based AAS
- Depression - The depression which may present from AAS usally happens with the use of Nandrolone based compounds, normally this dissipates when usage stops
- Anxiety suppression
- Thought connectivity
- Thought organization
- Focus enhancement
- Analysis enhancement
- Motivation enhancement
- Memory enhancement - While most AAS will have an enchantment of memory, nandrolone based compounds however cause memory impairment after prolonged use