“Guide to Safe Ayahuasca Curanderismo” by David Hedlund
Pros and cons with ayahuasca
- Cheap: Ayahuasca is much cheaper (and legal) in contrast to synthesized chemicals, 300 grams Mimosa hostilis root bark (MHRB) is enough for 100 doses and costs about €60 with shipping included, that's €0.6 per dose. Peganum harmala is sold for €60 per kilo, that is €0.06 per gram.
- Legal: Ayahuasca specifically is not governed in most countries, however, check your local law to make sure.
- Natural medicine, no chemical impurities.
- Available: The plant ingredients are sold on clearnet (on eBay and on smartshops), so there's no need to use darknet and cryptocurrencies to obtain them.
- Easy to prepare: It's very easy to prepare ayahuasca.
- The LD50 of ayahuasca is around 50 times a regular dose. However, MAOIs can cause lethal interactions with both food, and psychoactive substances (up to one week before and two weeks after use). Using MAOIs within five weeks of discontinuing the serotonin selective reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluoxetine (Prozac) could lead to coma and death. Many MAOI interactions with psychoactive substances have never been documented on the internet at all.
- Because of the extended half-life of norfluoxetine, a minimum of 5 weeks should lapse between stopping fluoxetine (20 mg/day) and starting an MAOI. With higher doses, the interval should be longer. For example, a serotonin syndrome was reported following a 6-weeks washout in a patient who had been given fluoxetine (80 mg/day).
- The alkaloid content may vary in plants, but it is easy to find out the proper dosage. However, a friend of mine consumed 10 grams of ground Peganum harmala without effects.
Strassman notes about DMT (without MAOIs): "DMT appeared unique in that tolerance was quite difficult to demonstrate, even in animals given full doses every two hours around the clock for twenty-one days in a row. The only published human study couldn't elicit tolerance when researchers gave full intramuscular doses twice a day for five days." "There were several DMT studies. The dose-response study was followed by the tolerance project in which subjects received a high dose of DMT four times, at 30-minute intervals. This latter study, which did not demonstrate a reduced response after frequent dosing (i.e., there was no tolerance), allowing for the deepest and most consistent work under the influence of DMT." - http://www.rickstrassman.com/publications/the-spirit-molecule/chapter-summaries/
Long-term ayahuasca therapy should succeed 99 of 100 verified sessions (99%) with no sitter needed on light to common doses. Not just 90 or 100 sessions because a single severe failed session can destroy the next nine sessions, meaning that 10 failed sessions can destroy 100 sessions at worst. Some individuals, particularly those with a lot of egos, cannot resist the temptation to recommend you to increase the dosage if they run higher doses, don't do that, rather reflect (or at worst leave) your company and make sure they don't ruin your goals.
Start on small doses and stay on the lowest useful therapeutic doses for 100 sessions, only then increase the dose slightly. This way you will become an experienced ayahuasca user without a lot of effort since you don't need to mentally evaluate the doses which means that you can dedicate all energies to egoless.
MAOI dosage protector
I advise you to verify that you have eaten low tyramine food by observing adverse effects from the MAOIs before you add DMT. Also, the MAOIs will give increased effects if you consume them before the Mimosa hostilis, Examples:
- Swallow Peganum harmala capsules 1 hour and 15 minutes before Mimosa hostilis or
- swallow pure Peganum harmala 60 minutes before Mimosa hostilis.
Peganum harmala sensitivity measurement
An optimal MAOI level serves as a protector from phytotoxicity, traditionally tobacco has been used as the protector. Even on light ayahuasca therapy there can be moments where you get a glimpse of negative emotions that are overwhelming even if everything has been conducted in the best possible manner, let them teach you what really will happen if you don't respect the dosage.
There is no "normal MAOI dose" since MAOI sensitivity can differ multiple times between individuals. So the first thing you need to do find out if you react on very low doses of MAOIs. For example, I just need half the amount of Peganum harmala than my friends to get to the same level, they don't get any therapeutic effects at all on my doses. I'm glad that I didn't get my first ayahuasca session via a retreat since it is reasonable to assume that they would suggest a "normal" dose of 3 grams Peganum harmala, and that dose would in reality be like taking 6 grams by someone not sensitive to MAOIs. Interestingly, ayahuasca tourist usually has no idea of this since most ayahuasca retreats don't learn about it.
To find out your MAOI sensitivity: Use 1 gram fine ground Peganum harmala without any DMT carrying plant and increase the dosage by 0.5 gram each day until you feel very light unpleasant dizzy. The thumb rule is that you need a less dose than that to get a light therapeutic dose (or normal dose if you are exhausted due to lack of macronutrients) when combined with a DMT carrying plant. Then fine-tune the by decreasing it with 10 mg per day until you don't feel dizzy at all.
Ayahuasca starting dose
You can even fine-tune it with a 5 mg increase/decrease. A good ayahuasca introduction dose is used that dose in combination with 3 grams Mimosa hostilis.
For example, I get a light dizziness on 1.15 grams Peganum harmala and my lowest therapeutic dose is 1.0 gram Peganum harmala + 3 grams Mimosa hostilis. I can even ignore the spiritual battle and still feel ok after the session on light doses even if this is nothing I at all prefer.
- Threshold dose (0.75 g Peganum harmala + 3 grams Mimosa hostilis: Physiological effects but no shifting in thoughts and no euphoria.
- Light dose dose (1.0 g Peganum harmala + 3 grams Mimosa hostilis: Shifting in thoughts.
Light doses of Ayahuasca combined with a little bit of will and purity are useful to treat depression. No battle no rewarding trip or positive changed behavior after the session.
Ayahuasca on MAOI pharmacotherapy
Daily Peganum harmala doses has been used to treat depression, something that can be useful on ayahuasca sessions.
- Concentration of an equivalent dose of 0.5 gram in a single dose each day: Microdosing Peganum harmala - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Doty/publication/322234580_Microdosing_Peganum_harmala/links/5aed0873aca2727bc004f660/Microdosing-Peganum-harmala.pdf
- 50 grams whole dried seeds in a single dose each day: "P.harmala was administered in the traditional way. The whole herb was used, 50g of dried pods used each time." - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319225561_Pharmacological_studies_of_Syrian_rue_Peganum_harmala_L_Zygophyllaceae
Try 0.5 gram every 6 hours, three times per day: Morning, noon, and the start of the evening. Do not use it when you go to bed since the MAOIs are stimulants.
Carefully monitor your MAOI therapy if you want to use it with ayahuasca occasionally. I have experienced mixed results.
- I experienced increased sensitivity on MAOI when I used them in 2010 with a bodyweight of 78 kilos. I didn't use ayahuasca back then.
2010-02-05 19:23:00 Peganum harmala 0.6 g Heavy antidepressant effects, mild euphoria. Stopped the MAOI therapy due to tyramine food complications. 2010-02-05 11:42:00 Peganum harmala 0.6 g Heavy antidepressant effects, mild euphoria 2010-02-05 03:30:00 Peganum harmala 0.7 g Heavy antidepressant effects, mild euphoria 2010-02-04 11:14:00 Peganum harmala 0.7 g Heavy antidepressant effects, mild euphoria 2010-02-04 19:21:00 Peganum harmala 0.7 g Heavy antidepressant effects, mild euphoria 2010-02-04 00:12:00 Peganum harmala 0.8 g Heavy antidepressant effects, mild euphoria 2010-02-03 12:46:00 Peganum harmala 0.8 g 2010-02-02 04:06:00 Peganum harmala 0.9 g 2010-02-02 13:20:00 Peganum harmala 0.9 g 2010-02-02 21:52:00 Peganum harmala 0.9 g 2010-02-01 19:31:00 Peganum harmala 0.9 g 2010-02-01 12:15:00 Peganum harmala 1.1 g Mild psychoactive effects after one hour but not antidepressant per see.
I experienced decreased sensitivity on MAOI when I used them 2018 with a bodyweight of 85 kilos.
2018-10-06 20:20 Peganum harmala 0.9 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-06 17:08 Peganum harmala 1.05 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-06 12:08 Peganum harmala 1.05 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-05 Early evening Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-05 Noon Peganum harmala 1.14 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-05 Morning Peganum harmala 0.9 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-03 Early evening Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-03 Noon Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-03 Morning Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-03 Early evening Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-03 Noon Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-03 Morning Peganum harmala 1 g Light antidepressant effects 2018-10-02 Early evening Peganum harmala 0.85 g 2018-10-02 Noon Peganum harmala 0.85 g 2018-10-02 Morning Peganum harmala 0.85 g 2018-10-01 Early evening Peganum harmala 0.75 g 2018-10-01 Noon Peganum harmala 0.75 g 2018-10-01 Morning Peganum harmala 0.75 g 2018-09-30 18:00 Peganum harmala 0.85 g 2018-09-30 11:00 Peganum harmala 0.85 g 2018-09-30 05:40 Peganum harmala 0.85 g
Ayahuasca in pregnancy
Peganum harmala can induce a miscarriage. It has traditionally been used as an abortifacient agent in Morocco, North Africa, and the Middle East. It is believed that quinazoline alkaloids such as vasicine and vasicinone are responsible for the abortifacient activity of the plant.
- I've only had 1 in 100 very unpleasant experience.
- "To keep the energy of the body, we advise sexual abstinence 3 days before and after the rituals" - Céu da Santa Maria (Santo Daime Amsterdam) recommendation
- I have not consumed MAOIs for at least 8 hours to eliminate most of the MAOIs to not build up higher doses that I will take. Wait much longer than 8 hours if you have consumed a lot of MAOIs. Cut of 10% of the MAOIs if you start a new session after 6 hours.
- I will not re-dose within 6 hours after a previous MAOI dose.
- I got access to tyramine free food for 24 hours (up to 72 hours).
- My body is not empty of protein, carbs, and fat, to avoid fatigue. 15 mL MCT oil and 30 mL potato starch (start with 5 mL and increase 5 mL every 3 days to avoid stomach pain, take it before sleep to avoid hot food or fluid to break it down) on daily basis combined with occasionally intermittent fasting (IF) is really useful.
- My stomach is empty (min 5 h, 6+ h for fatty food)
- I have avoided tyramine for at least 24 hours Dekorne mentions 12 hours.
- Symptoms are evident 1–12 h after ingestion of food containing tyramine but usually 1–3 h after ingestion.
- A warm bed (several blankets), you'll get really cold.
- A portable audio device so you can listen to your preferred ayahuasca therapy music.
- A small basked if you need to puke (not needed on "light" doses).
- Active noise canceling (ANC) headphones if you are in a group session since hearing other people puke can distract relaxation.
The fibers are not more hydrophilic than the powder from MHRB, both will swell 4 times their volume after the decoct. 1 gram dry Mimosa hostilis = 1 mL: 10 gram dry Mimosa hostilis whipped in water will yield 10 mL. For example, 30 grams mimosa will produce 120 grams of sediment.
- Commercial batch without fibers (not more expensive than MHRB with all fibers):
- Dry density: 0.77 g/mL
- Mass: 100 g
- Volume: 130 mL
- Dry density: 0.77 g/mL
- Estimation of commercial batches with fibers
- Dry density: 0.59 g/mL
- Mass: 10 g
- Volume: 17 mL
- Density: 0.66 g/mL
- Mass: 6.60 g (66% of the total weight)
- Volume: 10.03 mL (59% of the total volume)
- Density: 0.66 g/mL
- Density: 0.47 g/mL
- Mass: 3.30 g (33% of the total weight)
- Volume: 6.97 mL (41% of the total volume)
- Density: 0.47 g/mL
- Dry density: 0.59 g/mL
- Boiling solution stored in a ? degree Celcius cold refrigerator: 8% at 7.5 minutes.
- Boiling: 9% at 1 hour stored in a ? degree Celcius cold refrigerator -- a bit white sediment on top.
- Boiling: 9% at 1 hour stored in a ? degree Celcius cold refrigerator -- 2 mm white sediment on top after 15 hours, unchanged after 24 hours.
- Room temperature: 13% at 10 minutes stored in a ? degree Celcius cold refrigerator. -- Reevaluate
- Cold (pressure cooker on ice block): 17% at 2 hours stored in a ? degree Celcius cold refrigerator. -- Reevaluate
The sediment will coagulate after 30 minutes at room temperature to make it easy to separate the sediment from the clear phase.
- The worst possible condition is MHRB with all fibers (33% loss), cooled down after boiling (17% loss): 51% loss
- The best possible condition is MHRB without visible fibers, poured up while boiling and cooled down at room temperature (8% loss): 8% loss
You can save up to 43% yield (51-8%) by following these guidelines.
Some but not all vendors sell Mimosa hostilis root bark (MHRB) most of the fibers discarded. I recommend that you ask the vendor before you buy.
- Encapsulated MHRB: It's not possible to encapsulate the fibers with a capsule filler.
- Even consistent, you can just grab a scoop, no need to eyeball an equal amount of fibers and powders each time which eventually will build an uneven ratio fiber since eyeballing isn't standardization. I have observed myself and others and we tend to take more powder than fibers ("better safe than sorry") which unfortunately made the batches less potent over time.
- Products without fibers are economical, the fibers take a significant amount or the weight but the price for Mimosa hostils with or without fibers are about the same.
- Save you time to skip fiber sifting which requires a very fine large strain that is hard to find in your local stores. You will lose some alkaloids and it's hard to get rid of all fibers when you sift manually with strainers compared to commercial sifting.
The fibers are very bright in color so a batch with powdered fibers will have brighter color. A powerful blender or high-quality grinder is not sufficient to powderize the fibers, so it's not convenient to do this if you want to standardize the particle size for a 100% natural product.
Compare the large stainless steel strains in your local stores and select the one with the finest mesh.
[I think the fibers contain very few alkaloids. Make a decoct on the fibers and evaluate the psychoactivity to verify.]
Yuremamine is said to be heat sensitive, however, MHRB can be taken orally, and the bad taste can be avoided completely with capsules.
[experiment: will 2-3 grams MHRB without an MAOI or RIMA produce any effects?]
What you need:
- Pressure cooker
- Citric acid or malic acid. Avoid ascorbic acid and tartaric acid since they can upset the stomach.
- Mimosa hostilis root bark (MHRB)
- Drinking water
- A graduated bottle. I recommend Nalgene's graduated clear plastic bottles, they last for decades.
A pressure cooker is preferred because a saucepan can burn the DMT. I prefer fresh pressure cooking to avoid oxidized DMT, so this is closer to standardization. [It takes about 15 minutes for most ?% of the sediment to build upon the bottom that can be discarded.] Make sure that the sealing ring in the pressure cooker is clean so it doesn't leak anything. You need to let the solution stay overnight to clear the solution to get the tannins in the sediment. Tannins produce headaches and nausea. Some people use egg white or activated carbon to filter out the tannins to prevent nausea, but will this remove the DMT content?
1 gram Mimosa hostilis = 1 mL: 10 gram dry Mimosa hostilis whipped in water will yield 10 mL. The fibers are hydrophilic and will swell with 4 times their volume after the decoct. For example, 30 grams mimosa will produce 120 grams of sediment.
Acids are good for several reasons. First of all improved alkaloid extraction, but they also preserve the solution (mold doesn't survive in acidic solutions) when you store it.
- 100 mL water
- Use 90% of the desired dose since 10% are discarded fibers. 2.6 g M. hostilis per dose 3 grams (0.3 g are has been discarded as fibers)
- 2 grams malic acid or citric acid
- Do not boil in less water than the brew is intended to drink just to save some acid by making more concentrated cooking, that will leave the MHRB sediment with more DMT concentrated and you cannot undiluted it by adding more water once it has cooled down.
- Whip down x gram citric acid, or malic acid. the pH should be 2.
- Whip down 30 grams Mimosa hostilis (10 x 3 gram doses).
- Pressure cooks for 5 minutes or boils for 15 minutes if you don't own a pressure cooker. Minimum heat time is preferred to avoid 1) possible breakdown of the unique alkaloid yuremamine (2 making the DMT molecules unstable since that will speed up their oxidation process, in the bloodstream, and if you store the solution for several days or even months.
- Open the pressure cooker and use a dough scraper to scrape the fibers from the walls and the lid down to the solution.
- Move the pressure cooker from the stove to speed up the cooling process. Will you get more sediment if you cool the pressure cooker on an iceblock? Will more DMT go in the sediment (less psychoactive)?
- Pour over to a graduated bottle.
- Measure the volume, make sure the total volume is x to standardize the doses to 3 grams Mimosa hostilis per 0.5 dL brew: 500 mL + 30 mL (Mimosa hostilis) + x gram acid.
- Let stand in the refrigerator for 8 hours
I use 15 mL squash as a taste mask since not even delicious malic acid fully masks the bitterness.
From https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=75963&p=3 As for Moclobemide, i'm surprised more people around here seemingly haven't experimented with Moclobemide, kinda hard to believe tbh. I actually kinda liked Mimosa with Moclobemide, Acacia too, but i do prefer the Harmalas but the Moclobemide experiences are definitely no doubt interesting too. Definitely worth a try imo, though it can be rather intense body sensation wise because the Harmala aspects aren't there and the Harmalas seem to ground the experience in a way but with Moclobemide you feel it's full force. Moclobemide is also cool for seeing what Mimosa or Acacia, or other DMT-containing plants are like on their own, because they're not altered by the Harmalas.
And yes, DMT with Moclobemide is purge-free, so if you give it a chance, let us know how it goes for you.
Moclobemide + MHRB capsules used: https://mycotopia.net/topic/84082-moclobemidemhrb-no-beta-carbolines-holy-hell/
Despite its short half-life, the pharmacodynamic action of a single dose persists for approximately 16 hours.
Peganum harmala is mostly not professionally produced, not even ecological seeds; the seeds are not rinsed from grit and I have never found any product that sells the seeds in a professional package. I found about 450 mg per 100 grams grit in my ecological Peganum harmala batch by weight, that's enough to damage the burrs significantly. Be careful to remove the stones to not wear out the burrs in a grinder rapidly. Stones can be one of the reasons why you sometimes find extra hard physical resistance when you grind them manually. Even the largest stones (for example 2 mm) will damage the burrs in the finest settings.
Washing out stones in a bowl is certainly the safest way to get rid of most of them.
Peganum harmala seeds have a width of 1.5-3.0 mm so a slightly larger sieve (eg 1.6 mm) will pass all seeds and trap larger stones, and a slightly smaller sieve (eg 1.4 mm)) will trap all seeds but pass smaller stones, sand, dust, etc. Search for "lab sieve" to get sieves with defined mesh sizes. The problem with sifting is that stones in the same particle range as the seeds will be trapped anyway.
Larger stones are easy to detect by sound by dropping them in a large metal pan for example but smaller stones have to be visually identified, the stones are easier to pick with tweezers. Repeat the process at least twice albeit this is a tedious task, I often find a lot of stones on the second round that was visually hidden on the first one.
- Avoid grinding large batches since living seeds will preserve the alkaloids and compensate lost alkaloids by synthesizing new ones naturally. Pre-weight the desired dose to avoid excessive doses with half crushed seeds in the grinder since that will kill the seeds.
- Put the seeds in a freezer or in a cold refrigerator.
- Grind the seeds with a ceramic coffee grinder (http://porlexgrinders.com/ grinders are very good) on the finest possible setting (I use even 2 settings below the recommendation in the Porlex manual to get even smaller particles and it works fine), avoid coarse particles since it will delay the MAOI metabolism significantly, I grind the same batch twice to minimize the largest particles from the first grinding.
See https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Harmalas_Extraction_and_Separation_Guide if you want to make the full-spectrum extract.
A rush can be felt in the beginning, I hypothesize that the smallest particles metabolized first. It is possible that I will evaluate this in the future by sifting the particles to standardize their volume.
The bad taste can easily be masked with squash concentrate. Add 15 mL per 3 grams Mimosa hostilis. Add 15 mL per 1 gram Peganum harmala if you don't swallow them by capsule. Sweet pastilles are useful to get rid of the aftertaste.
If you decide to take light doses and not to puke then you might want to use capsules because the consistency of Peganum harmala seeds triggers a bit of nausea so even a good task mask won't help. Just make sure to wait for at least 30 but 60 is preferred for the capsules to fully dissolve for vegetarian or gelatin capsules.. I recommend vegetarian capsules for animal justice.
Ayahuasca can be stored and used in the refrigerator for months. - https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17174
[Will it cause more nausea due to tyramine? Will it oxidizes?]
Will prevent oxidation of DMT. Not evaluated yet.
Ayahuasca can be fatal with polydrug use.
- Always prepare yourself to go to the hospital if you experiment with new substances, even in threshold doses.
- Stimulants - Combining stimulants with psychedelics may induce states of extreme anxiety, over-stimulation, thought loops, and increase the risk of psychosis. -- MAOIs are stimulants, they tend to potentiate other substances in addition, so "normal" doses with other stimulants easily cause overstimulation. In fact, a "cheese crisis" triggered by tyramine rich food on ayahuasca can should be able to trigger both physiological and psychotoxic effects since tyramine can displace stored monoamines, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine, from presynaptic vesicles. Psychedelic bad trips are often a trigger for HPPD.
- Popular sports supplements (especially pre-workout supplements (PWS)) and all-natural weight loss contain meth-like compound
- I recommend that you disrupt all non-pharmaceutical supplements for at least one week before you use MAOIs to avoid dangerous interactions due to withdrawal.
- Plants are not standardized so it is impossible to know how much effects you get from them. Only buy pharmaceutical grade substances (like OTC in your local pharmacy store) to eliminate possibly lethal interactions with MAOIs. Do not buy substances on the internet to avoid supplements or counterfeit medicines.
- The more substances you involve the larger is the risk for miscalculations.
- A blood pressure monitor
- Activated carbon
A few deaths due to participation in the consumption of ayahuasca have been reported, although none have been linked specifically to Ayahuasca itself, but are usually said to be due to other factors. Some of the deaths may have been due to unscreened preexisting heart conditions, interaction with drugs, such as antidepressants, recreational drugs, caffeine (due to the CYP1A2 inhibition of the Harmala alkaloids), or nicotine (from drinking Tobacco tea for purging/cleansing), or from improper or irresponsible use due to behavioral risks or possible drug to drug interactions.
Syrian rue (Peganum harmala): Harmaline is a RIMA. Harmine is a nonselective MAOI (MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitor). Seed extracts were potent reversible and competitive inhibitors of MAO-A but poor inhibitors of MAO-B.
MAO-A preferentially deaminates serotonin, melatonin, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. MAO-B preferentially deaminates phenethylamine and certain other trace amines; in contrast, MAO-A preferentially deaminates other trace amines, like tyramine, whereas dopamine is equally deaminated by both types. Inhibition of both MAO-A and MAO-B is used in the treatment of clinical depression and anxiety.
Antiemetics are not needed on light doses of ayahuasca.
- "His research into dietary management and vitamin supplements suggests that taking one gram of Lecithin the previous day and again two hours before a session will eliminate most nausea In addition, sliced dried ginger chewed after drinking ayahuasca tea eliminates much of its bad taste." [Doesn't lecithin contain tyramine?]
- "Ginger is often used as antiemetic." - Psychedelic Shamanism (page 178), Jim Dekorne
- Meclizine (INN, or meclozine) brand names Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, Sea Legs, and Dramamine II (Less Drowsy Formulation): "MAOIs may prolong and intensify the anticholinergic effects of antihistamines. Although the anticholinergic activity of MAOIs is minimal; anticholinergic effects sometimes occur. It is recommended that the concurrent use of MAOIs with drugs possessing anticholinergic activity to be avoided since the effects of other anticholinergic drugs are potentiated and may become severe. Most manufacturers recommend that sedating H1-antagonists should not be used within 2 weeks of therapy with an MAOI."
Only for experienced people who are willing to take maximum responsibility. Always start with threshold doses, and gradually increase them but not on the same session.
Stimulants are useful to battle the sedative effects of DMT if you want to stay awake and use them as antidepressants in your everyday work for creativity and abstract thinking.
- 50 mg caffeine (avoid coffee brews since they contain b-carboline alkaloids) + 50 mg L-theanine, or a cup of tea is a nice nootropic ad-hoc. Yerba mate + ayahuasca is a common admixture. Use caffeine with caution due to the CYP1A2 inhibition of the Harmala alkaloids.
- 0.? mg nicotine orally from prescription free pharmaceutical nicotine tablets. "It may also be smoked by people having a challenging experience in order to bring them out of chaos into clarity. Conversely it can also be used to clear away obstruction and allow the visions to come through with more intensity." - http://realitysandwich.com/217970/meeting-the-tobacco-spirit/. Use nicotine with caution.
The risk for serotonergic and dopaminergic overstimulation. "A study reported in the 2010 issue of the Journal of Ethnopharmacology found that harmaline and harmine in ayahuasca are MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitors" - https://www.livestrong.com/article/82970-common-herbs-mao-inhibitor-activity/ "MAO-A is involved in the metabolism of serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine whereas MAO-B metabolises the dopamine neurotransmitter."
Background of interest in this stack:
- My primary goal with cholinergic + ayahuasca is to find a possible safe way to get choline (an essential vitamin) so I don't have to eat more eggs. I want to able to be a vegan and use ayahuasca in the future and I want other vegans to have the same possibility by saying what worked and what didn't work for me.
- It is known that choline sources can strongly potentiate psychedelics, and Terence McKenna has advocated combining soy lecithin with mushrooms (I wish I could find this one video about it, it involves McKenna and it is very cool!). They are not MAOIs by any stretch of the imagination but they simply potentiate psychedelics very strongly. In my experience, 800 mg of CDP-choline can strongly potentiate multiple types of psychedelics, including LSD, smoking DMT, mushrooms, cacti, and synthetics." - https://www.reddit.com/r/Psychedelics/comments/3hsw7p/ayahuasca_without_the_nausea_possible_safer/
- Common MAOIs
- Peganum harmala
- "Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans) is an evergreen tree native to the Spice Islands. The seed of the tree is called nutmeg, and mace is the seed covering. Nutmeg essential oil contains myristicin, which can be toxic in large doses. Myristicin is an unselective MAO inhibitor, meaning it acts on both MAO-A and MAO-B. Nutmeg also contains the MAO inhibitors kaempferol and quercetin." - https://www.livestrong.com/article/499817-herbs-to-increase-dopamine/
- "Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a yellow root used in Asian cooking and traditional medicine. A study reported in Psychopharmacology found that curcumin inhibited both MAO-A and MAO-B and increased the levels of serotonin and dopamine. When the researchers combined curcumin with piperine, an alkaloid found in black pepper, they found this enhanced the effect of MAO inhibition." - https://www.livestrong.com/article/499817-herbs-to-increase-dopamine/ "So I started taking 300 mg of Alpha GPC along with 1600 mg of NAC and curcumin (theracurmin)... Curcumin can act as an MAO inhibitor but I’d assume only in really high doses. Maybe if your extra sensitive with MAO that could have been the culprit but if you have been off it all for 10 days now I don’t see how side effects are still occurring." - https://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/101149-alpha-gpc-and-potentially-other-substance-really-messed-me-up-any-ideas-on-whats-wrong/
MAOI interaction with cholinergics
Choline-equivalent doses needed for evaluation (like in this stud: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244432).
- Alpha-GPC -- Dopaminergic "Alpha GPC has demonstrated the ability to increase overall dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain 4, which was shown to not be possible with a comparable dose of CDP Choline" "CDP-choline did not affect DA levels, which increased after GPC administration in frontal cortex and cerebellum. GPC increased also 5-HT levels in frontal cortex and striatum. DAT was stimulated in frontal cortex and cerebellum by both CDP and GPC, whereas VMAT2, SERT, NET were unaffected. VMAT1 was not detectable." "The above data indicate that CDP-choline and GPC possess a monoaminergic profile and interfere to some extent with brain monoamine transporters."
- Crosses the blood-brain barrier (BBB): Yes
- CDP-choline -- Citicoline enhances cellular communication by increasing the availability of neurotransmitters, including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17171187 "The above data indicate that CDP-choline and GPC possess a monoaminergic profile and interfere to some extent with brain monoamine transporters."
- Crosses the blood-brain barrier (BBB): Yes
- CDP-Choline (cytidine 5′-diphosphocholine): Is only about 18% choline by weight. Your body naturally synthesizes choline into CDP-Choline (Citicoline). It’s then converted to phosphatidylcholine (PC) which assists cell membranes, and helps create acetylcholine. - https://nootropicsexpert.com/choline-bitartrate/
- Choline bitartrate
- Crosses the blood–brain barrier (BBB): No
- Phosphatidylcholine (PC)
- Crosses the blood–brain barrier (BBB): "CDP-choline given parenterally or orally quickly degrades into its products cytidine and choline which can cross the blood-brain barrier separately (Grieb, 2014)." - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4625486/
- Sold as supplement
- Egg yolk contain phosphatidylcholine (PC). I have eaten a few fried eggs in the middle of an ayahuasca trip on completely empty stomach but didn't experience any side effects, the eggs didn't boost the effects of the trip. Try raw egg yolks, increase with one egg yolk per session.
- Soy lecithin
- "Lecithin is a special type of fat called a phospholipid. About 13% by weight of the lecithin molecule is choline. Most choline in the diet is derived from lecithin. Some foods contain it in the free form or as a component of other phospholipids. One tablespoon of lecithin granules provides about 1,725 mg of phosphatidylcholine and 250 mg choline, a little less than the content in an egg." -
- "It is difficult-to-impossible to obtain definitive information regarding tyramine content of a great many foods. However, the consensus appears to be that soy oil and lecithin are not harmful." - Dietician Moderators, https://forum.parkinson.org/topic/12588-foods-high-in-tyramine/?tab=comments#comment-47328
- Centrophenoxine (meclofenoxate, sold as Lucidril) -- this substance is sold as a nootropic and prescribed as a medication but little data exist about it.
- Crosses the blood–brain barrier (BBB): ?
- Cocoa: "I have met many who use cacao to extend the deeper portion of this medicine journey - take the cacao about 30-45 min before you would begin to surface from those depths. As cacao has significant MAOI's, some take cacao mixed with Aya to reduce the DMT degradation in the stomach. We know many who use cacao instead of the plant with the MAOI’s that is combined with the Ayahuasca containing plant." - https://ceremonialcacao.blogspot.com/2012/05/Notes-Bin-and-Recipes-Medical-Cacao.html
Using an MAO inhibitor (MAOI), the intake of approximately 10 to 25 mg of tyramine is required for a severe reaction compared to 6 to 10 mg for a mild reaction. In cacao: "The amounts of tyramine found ranged between 0.1 and 2.8 μg/g." - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb10786.x
Routes of administration
Bad trip management
Disclaimer: There is no guarantee that you will receive any anxiolytics if you have a really bad trip and went to a hospital and tell them that you took MAOIs. A long bad trip without anxiolytic treatment can result in HPPD that might last for life. They will primarily monitor your EEG, blood pressure, and take blood samples. Your best bet is to learn that it is safe to use benzodiazepines with MAOIs. However, keep in mind that adulterated benzo tablets may cause dangerous interactions with MAOIs.
"Mixing 1.5mg alprazolam and 25g MHRB was by far the smoothest experience I have had. However, I feel like it definitely lacked something: the profound sense of spiritual revelation was absent. Sure, there was no fear whatsoever, but I realized afterward that fear during an experience is not something that necessarily needs to be avoided, and is a vital component of realizing the areas of the psyche which need healing the most. Also, I cannot recall some of the more subtle details of the experience. This is not to say that I did not learn a great deal from the experience, but I feel the potential was greatly diminished. Then again, my motivation for this at the time was to provide a more recreational experience than spiritual. If one's intent is to enjoy the visions without the distractions of inner personal growth, this is a valid path to pursue.
My advice is, if you feel the need to reduce anxiety during the experience, to go very light on the dose of anxiolytic. 0.5 mg alprazolam, 5mg diazepam, or 0.5 mg clonazepam would probably allow for reduction in anxiety without much inhibition of benefits. This is speculation, however, as I have not combined the two since Smile"
If you suspect that you have taken to high doses of anything combined with MAOI, for example, if you feel an expected rush early then follow the below processes.
The body cannot puke up anything without water in the stomach which is common during ayahuasca fasting, so if you have little water in your stomach then drink a few deciliters of water and puke. Puke by putting your fingers in your throat to induce the "gag reflex". Repeat the water consumption puke process for at least two sessions and make sure that you puke up most of the water content each session.
Activated charcoal may be given to help bind drugs and keep them in the stomach and intestines.
- Spiritual crisis:
The prefrontal cortex in the brain is involved in dealing with fear and stress. In the last few decades, brain imaging systems have been used to determine brain region volumes and nerve linkages. Several studies have indicated that reduced volume and interconnections of the frontal lobes with other brain regions are observed in patients diagnosed with mental disorders and prescribed potent antipsychotics; those subjected to repeated stressors; those who excessively consume sexually explicit materials; suicides; those incarcerated; criminals; sociopaths. It is believed that at least some of the human abilities to feel guilt or remorse and to interpret reality are dependent on the well-functioning prefrontal cortex.
You might for example stumble into a situation like this:
- Why do I feel guilt? Because I consume excessive amounts of meat but I want to respect animals as individuals and not products at the same time. Pigs are not impure but more intelligent than dogs, so ham should be avoided because that is like eating 6 years, human children.
- How can I overcome my guilt? By consuming less meat. I will try to do that after this session to see how it affects me.
A few things ayahuasca can treat:
- Negative occult practices (eg past ouija séances during teens).
- Treatment-resistant mental disorders.
- Drug dependency and moderately use of socially accepted dependency substances like alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine.
- Self-destructive behavior and destructive relationships.
- PTSD: https://maps.org/research/articles/132-participate-in-research-2/maps-sponsored-studies/6254-ayahuasca-for-ptsd
Light ayahuasca doses have nootropic effects, it can be used in the same way that LSD is used for Problem-solving. I wrote a lot of this guide with ayahuasca for creative thinking.
Ayahuasca users who don't practice egoless will instead experience egodystonic or egosyntonic emotions that will aggravate their mental instability and eventually becomes malevolent shamans (brujas) or antisocial individuals.
The prefrontal cortex is part of the frontal lobe, you can observe the energies in your forehead during spiritual crises that can make you temporarily psychotic.
"A line of research has revealed that a polymorphism in the promoter region of the MAOA gene is related to antisocial phenotypes." - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886912004047 The brain is neuroplastic so regions that are imbalanced will change over time with frequent ayahuasca use.
Underground psychedelic therapy
The sale of psychoactive substances without paid tax is not legal and can be used as an argument from governments to put resources on you. I have personally never earned any money from ayahuasca, I use to donate ayahuasca and consultation to friends that might be interested in it as a form to promote more egoloss to this world.
Santo Daime: "We know that this issue is very delicate. It was extensively discussed at meetings of the GMT / CONAD where it was established that "the sacrament should not be marketed, nor should obtain his personal earnings and / or cash benefit of any kind" However it was made the caveat that it was recognized the right to each entity providing the costs of its production in accordance with its statutory principles and administrative procedures ." - 
Ayahuasca international critisism
They got Facebook accounts dedicated to regional retreats that you can read about in your local news. A few sites that are in use:
Alberto Varela, Ayahuasca International (originally Ayahuasca Internacional), Inner Mastery International S.L.U.: "The founder of Ayahuasca International is Alberto Jose Varela, who has ceded all rights to the use and exploitation of Ayahuasca International to the company Inner Mastery International SLU."
Avoid to treat individuals with chemical dependence due to possibly deadly MAOI interactions, never give MAOIs to these people. Addicts often forget things too, and they can be very hard to reach even by phone, something that is crucial when substances are evaluated even on low doses MAOI.
- Benny Shanon is a psychologist best known for the Biblical entheogen hypothesis based on his 2,500 ayahuasca experiences. Shanon is the ayahuasca reference authority.
- Rick Strassman is a medical doctor who researches about DMT and is the author of DMT, the Spirit Molecule from 2001. Strassman is the DMT reference authority.
Internationally, DMT is a Schedule I drug under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances. The Commentary on the Convention on Psychotropic Substances notes, however, that the plants containing it are not subject to international control:
The cultivation of plants from which psychotropic substances are obtained is not controlled by the Vienna Convention. . . . Neither the crown (fruit, mescal button) of the Peyote cactus nor the roots of the plant Mimosa hostilis nor Psilocybe mushrooms themselves are included in Schedule 1, but only their respective principals, mescaline, DMT, and psilocin.
International human rights
Use it if someone tries to punish and/or prevent you and your friends to use ayahuasca.
- Freedom of religion -- can protect individuals that practice ayahuasca religiously if they for example say that their religion is Santo Daime.
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities -- can protect individuals with psychiatric diagnoses to use psychedelic therapy.
Courts on shamans
https://legalizepsychedelics.com/ requires English references so this section cannot be merged into it.
This section includes shamans that have used entheogens, not just ayahuasca.
Ayahuasca and non-oral DMT variations
B. caapi/P. virides or B.caapi/D. cabrerana vs P. harmala/M. hostilis
Survey for non-oral DMT with MAOIs
"Although there are many varieties of Changa, like Ayahuasca the key active ingredients are consistently DMT and an MAOI.
The effects of Changa are considered by many to be more grounded than just DMT freebase smoked on its own. The effects have been reported as being similar to a short Ayahuasca trip. The duration of effects is slightly longer than that of freebase DMT, with reports of trips lasting up to 12 minutes." - https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Changa
- MAOIs either taken orally before smoked/IV/IM DMT or in conjunction with smoked/IV/IM DMT, also makes the high difference than just DMT on its own. A study should be conducted to compare the therapeutic index and the subjective effects of non-oral DMT administered with and without MAOIs because Strassman didn't compare this AFAIK. RIMAs (eg harmaline, or moclobemide), a sub-type of MAOIs, are much safer than MAOIs (paganism harmala: Harmine), because the enzymes turn over approximately every two weeks, meaning that a lot of psychoactive substances have to be avoided for two weeks. The therapeutic index of MAOIs and RIMAs should be compared.
To any governments reading this page: There are no doctors or psychologists that have helped me as much as psychedelics have done. I am my own ayahuascero, and curandero and I'm well aware that there are unpredictable risks. I self-medicate with ayahuasca, not for recreational purposes. I don't pose any threat to our society with my purity of mind combined with ayahuasca use. I care about my mental health and my choice of friends. Ayahuasca has helped me out from depression, and I have guided people on how to achieve that with this guide that aims for maximum harm reduction and healing, and high standardization of the ayahuasca brew. It's the last thing I can do to express my thankfulness to ayahuasca.
- ‘The vine of the soul’ or ‘the vine of the dead‘: Ayahuasca
- Ayahuascerismo: To prepare the ayahuasca brew, set up space for an ayahuasca ceremony, and conduct the ceremony.
- Ayahuasquera: Female Ayahuascerismo practiser
- Ayahuasquero: Male ayahuascerismo practiser
- Brujo/Bruja- The literal translation for brujo is sorcerer and bruja is witch. These people dwell on the darker side of shamanism in Peru and throughout Latin America. A brujo is a shaman that does not necessarily act in a guests best interest, they act in their own interests. A brujo is most interested in money and power. There are more brujos than shamans in Peru because it is easier to become a brujo and oftentimes more profitable. The lines between shaman and brujo can get blurry as many shamans become tempted by money and/or power. Those shamans try to straddle both paths of love/light and power. Unfortunately the path of power is quite seductive.
- Curanderismo: Originally Mexican American folk medicine but now used to describe folk medicine in general. The Spanish verb curar means to heal. Curanderos go beyond Western medicine, linking illness with evil spirits.
- Curandera: Female healer
- Curandero: Male healer
- MHRB: Mimosa hostilis root bark
- Tobaquero- a shaman that works with tobacco. Tobacco is a strong medicine, a strong purgative that cleans the body out. It can be drunk, snorted on its’ own or mixed with a brew such as ayahuasca.
- Vegetalismo: Vegetalismo is a term used to refer to a practice of mestizo shamanism in the Peruvian Amazon in which the shamans — known as vegetalistas — are said to gain their knowledge and power to cure from the vegetales, or plants of the region. Many believe to receive their knowledge from ingesting the hallucinogenic, emetic brew ayahuasca.
- Yage: Ayahuasca
- Ayahuasca (Wikipedia)
- Pharmahuasca (Wikipedia)
- Ayahuasca (Erowid)
- Erowid Experience Vaults: Ayahuasca Reports in category: Mystical Experiences
- Erowid Experiences : Reports with at least DMT in combination with Moclobemide
- Well-being, problematic alcohol consumption and acute subjective drug effects in past-year ayahuasca users: a large, international, self-selecting online survey
- Hypothesis: The Psychedelic Ayahuasca Heals Traumatic Memories via a Sigma 1 Receptor-Mediated Epigenetic-Mnemonic Process
- Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacotherapy, page 250
- Callaway JC, McKenna DJ, Grob CS, Brito GS, Raymon LP, Poland RE, Andrade EN, Andrade EO (1999). "Pharmacokinetics of Hoasca alkaloids in healthy humans". Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 65 (3): 243–256. doi:10.1016/S0378-8741(98)00168-8. PMID 10404423.
- Callaway JC, Airaksinen MM, McKenna DJ, Brito GS, Grob CS (November 1994). "Platelet serotonin uptake sites increased in drinkers of ayahuasca". Psychopharmacology. 116 (3): 385–7. doi:10.1007/BF02245347. PMID 7892432.
- DMT, the Spirit Molecule, page 136, Rick Strassman
- Berlin I, Zimmer R, Thiede HM, et al. (December 1990). "Comparison of the monoamine oxidase inhibiting properties of two reversible and selective monoamine oxidase-A inhibitors moclobemide and toloxatone, and assessment of their effect on psychometric performance in healthy subjects". Br J Clin Pharmacol. 30 (6): 805–16. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.1990.tb05445.x. PMC . PMID 1705137.
- The Shells dissolution of Various Empty Hard Capsules
- Tripsit Factsheets - LSD | http://drugs.tripsit.me/lsd
- Sklerov J, Levine B, Moore KA, King T, Fowler D (2005). "A fatal intoxication following the ingestion of 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine in an ayahuasca preparation". J Anal Toxicol. 29 (8): 838–41. doi:10.1093/jat/29.8.838. PMID 16356341.
- Tracy McVeigh (26 April 2014). "British backpacker dies after taking hallucinogenic brew in Colombia". The Observer.
- "American Found Dead After Taking Ayahuasca". Peruvian Times. September 14, 2012.
- Template:Cite video
- "Why do people take ayahuasca?". BBC. 29 April 2014.
- Massaro, E. J. (2002). Handbook of Neurotoxicology. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. p. 237. ISBN 0-89603-796-7.
- Herraiz T, González D, Ancín-Azpilicueta C, Arán VJ, Guillén H (March 2010). "beta-Carboline alkaloids in Peganum harmala and inhibition of human monoamine oxidase (MAO)". Food Chem. Toxicol. 48 (3): 839–45. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2009.12.019. PMID 20036304.
- DMT – UN report, MAPS, 2001-03-31, archived from the original on January 21, 2012, retrieved 2012-01-14