|Summary sheet: Omberacetam|
|Common names||Noopept, Ноопепт, GVS-111, Omberacetam|
|Systematic name||N-Phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester|
|Routes of Administration|
Omberacetam (also known as GVS-111 and noopept) is a nootropic substance of the racetam class. Omberacetam is promoted and prescribed in Russia and neighbouring countries as a nootropic with neuroprotective properties.
Omberacetam is easily accessible through the use of online vendors as a legal dietary supplement in the U.S. and as a medication in other countries. It is growing in popularity due to its effectiveness as a cognitive enhancing compound and because its active dose range is between 10 and 30 mg, which is much lower than compounds that offer similar effects such as the racetams. When compared to the traditional racetams, omberacetam has been found to be, according to studies, 1000 times more potent than the prototypical racetam drug, piracetam.
To supplement omberacetam, one should take 10 – 30 mg once a day for up to 56 days at a time with extended breaks in between each period of usage.
Omberacetam, or N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester, is a synthetic peptide. A peptide is a chain of simple amino acids linked by peptide bonds. Omberacetam contains a phenylacetyl subunit bound to a small peptide chain of proline and glycine. The proline amino acid is composed of a carboxylic acid group bound to a pyrrolidine ring at C2. The glycine amino acid is bound to proline with a peptide bond. The glycine residue also has been esterified with an ethyl group. Omberacetam is structurally similar to the endogenous neuropeptide cycloprolylglycine, for which it is a prodrug. Omberacetam is a dipeptide conjugate of piracetam although it is not a racetam as it lacks a pyrrolidone cycle.
Omberacetam modulates the acetylcholine system as well as the AMPA receptors. This modulation essentially allows acetylcholine to accumulate at higher levels than that which it otherwise would. As acetylcholine is involved in the function of memory, this could potentially account for its nootropic effects.
The effects listed below are based upon the subjective effects index and personal experiences of PsychonautWiki contributors. These effects should be taken with a grain of salt and will rarely (if ever) occur all at once, but heavier doses will increase the chances of inducing a full range of effects. Likewise, adverse effects become much more likely on higher doses and may include serious injury or death.
- Stimulation - The stimulation which omberacetam presents can be considered as primarily subtle and encouraged rather than forceful and distinct.
- Spontaneous physical sensations - The "body high" which omberacetam presents can be described as a faint, all-encompassing, soft and consistent tingling sensation.
There are currently no anecdotal reports which describe the effects of this compound within our experience index. Additional experience reports can be found here:
Toxicity and harm potential
The toxicity and long-term health effects of recreational omberacetam use do not seem to have been studied in any scientific context and the exact toxic dosage is unknown. This is because omberacetam has very little history of human usage. Anecdotal evidence from people who have tried omberacetam within the community suggest that there do not seem to be any negative health effects attributed to simply trying this drug at low to moderate doses by itself and using it sparingly (but nothing can be completely guaranteed).
It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this drug.
High doses of omberacetam (above 20 mg) can cause short-term memory loss, brain fog and headache.
Tolerance and addiction potential
The chronic use of omberacetam can be considered as non-addictive with a low potential for abuse. It does not seem to be capable of causing psychological dependence among users.
Tolerance to many of the effects of omberacetam develops over several weeks of prolonged and repeated use. This results in users having to administer increasingly larger doses to achieve the same effects. After that, it takes about 3 - 7 days for the tolerance to be reduced to half and 1 - 2 weeks to be back at baseline (in the absence of further consumption). Omberacetam may present cross-tolerance with all racetam nootropics, meaning that after the consumption of omberacetam certain nootropics such as coluracetam and piracetam may have a reduced effect.
- Psychedelics - Anecdotal reports suggest that combining psychedelics with omberacetam strongly intensifies psychedelics effects. Independent research and caution are strongly advised before using these drugs in combination.
- Australia: Omberacetam is not a Schedule 4 prescription drug nor is it on the list of poisons. It is currently being sold within the country.
- Canada: Omberacetam does not have a Drug Identification Number (DIN), meaning that it cannot be imported for resale or distribution. Omberacetam is not scheduled nor controlled in Canada, making import for personal reasons legal.
- United Kingdom: Omberacetam is illegal to produce, supply, or import under the Psychoactive Substance Act, which came into effect on May 26th, 2016.
- United States: Omberacetam has no schedule assigned to it in the United States, making it unregulated and therefore legally available for anyone in the country to buy, possess and use.
- PubChem database | https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/omberacetam
- Khimiko-Farmatsevticheskii Zhurnal, Vol. 38, No. 12, pp. 3 – 5, December, 2004.
- The original novel nootropic and neuroprotective agent omberacetam (PubMed.gov / NCBI) | http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12596521
- "Dr. Rita Ostrovskaya on omberacetam tolerance".
Tolerance? No, there is no tolerance. No. No, tolerance because we advise that people use [omberacetam], and then take an interval. For example, [take it] three times per year.
- Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 (Legislation.gov.uk) | http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/2/contents/enacted