Conversion of CBD to THC with citric acid and water-based extraction
THC produced from converted CBD is very potent.
It is nearly impossible to guesstimate the potency from home-made extraction, but even low potent extract significantly increases the risk of a psychosis compared to consumption of potent cannabis buds.
This guide is provided for informational and educational purposes only. We do not encourage you to break the law and cannot claim any responsibility for your actions.
In order to convert CBD to THC legally, both compounds have to be legal in the country, state, or territory, where the cooking is taking place.
CBD/CBDA is currently not scheduled by any United Nations treaty
CBD, and CBD acid (CBDA), is currently not scheduled by any United Nations treaty, but it is possible that CBD will be added as a THC precursor in the future to the United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.
Countries and territories that have criminalized CBD
Since the discovery that CBD is a precursor for THC, a few govermnents have criminalized CBD.
- Hong Kong: Illegal in Hong Kong since 1st February 2023, punishable by 7 years imprisonment.
THC/THCA is scheduled under United Nations treaty
THC, and THC acid (THCA), is scheduled under the United Nations treaty.
Countries and territories that have legalized cannabis
The compounds for manufacturing in the US could be considered analogs of THC, in which case, sales or possession intended for human consumption could be prosecuted under the Federal Analog Act.
|Heated cannabinoid||Conversion temperature||Resulting cannabinoid|
- Cannabidiphorol (CBDP) to tetrahydrocannabiphorol (THCP) which is 30 times more potent than THC.
- CBDP is produced by decarboxylating CBDP acid (CBDPA).
- Cannabidihexol (CBDH) to tetrahydrocannabihexol (THCH) which is 25 times more potent than THC.
- CBDH is produced by decarboxylating CBDH acid (CBDHA).
- THC production by yeast (Wikipedia)
- Cannabinoid acid synthase
- Cannabidiol as the Substrate in Acid-Catalyzed Intramolecular Cyclization
- Czégény, Z; Nagy, G; Babinszki, B; Bajtel, Á; Sebestyén, Z; Kiss, T; Csupor-Löffler, B; Tóth, B; Csupor, D (26 April 2021). "CBD, a precursor of THC in e-cigarettes". Scientific reports. 11 (1): 8951. doi:10.1038/s41598-021-88389-z. PMC Check
|pmc=value (help). PMID 33903673.