2C-B or 2,5-dimethoxy-4-bromophenethylamine is a psychedelic drug of the 2C-x family. It was first synthesized by Alexander Shulgin in 1974. In Shulgin's book, PiHKAL, the dosage range is listed as 16–24 mg. 2C-B is sold as a white powder sometimes pressed in tablets or gel caps and is referred to on the street as 'Rusko', 'Spectrum', 'Venus', 'B's', 'CB's', or 'Nexus'. The drug is usually taken orally, but can also be insufflated or vaporized.
It first saw use among the psychiatric community as an aid during therapy. It was considered one of the best drugs for this purpose because of its short duration, relative absence of side effects, and comparably mild nature. Shortly after becoming popular in the medical community, it became popular recreationally. 2C-B was first sold commercially as an aphrodisiac under the trade name "Eros", which was manufactured by the German pharmaceutical company Drittewelle. For several years, it was available as tablets in Dutch smart shops under the name "Nexus".
- 1 Chemistry
- 2 Pharmacology
- 3 Subjective effects
Unlike most hallucinogens, 2C-B has been shown to be a low efficacy serotonin 5-HT2A receptor partial agonist or even full antagonist. This suggests that the 5-HT2C receptor is primarily responsible for mediating the effects experienced by users of 2C-B.  Research also suggests that 2C-B increases dopamine levels in the brains of rats which may contribute to its psychoactivity.
The physical effects of 2C-B can be broken down into five components all of which progressively intensify proportional to dosage. These are described below and generally include:
- Spontaneous tactile sensations - The body high of 2C-B is not necessarily one of the most intense, but is instead one of the most complex compared to other psychedelics, sharing components of MDMA, 2C-E, and LSD. This is first characterized by an intense soft warm glow that grows over the body and is capable of becoming extremely physically euphoric. This is most similar to MDMA and is consistently manifested throughout the experience. This is contrasted by an intensely pleasurable yet sharp, cold electric tingling sensation which moves up and down the body. This is most similar to LSD and is also consistently manifested throughout the trip. The final physical effect noticed throughout the experience is an intense and slightly uncomfortable, energetic pins and needles sensation that manifests itself in the form of a continuously shifting and tingling sensation that travels up and down the body in spontaneous waves. This is most similar to 2C-E and is not entirely consistent throughout the trip.
- Stimulation - In terms of its effects on the physical energy levels of the tripper, 2C-B is usually considered to be very energetic and stimulating in a fashion that is quite comparable to that of MDMA.
- Increased bodily control
- Enhancement of touch
- Nausea - Mild to extreme nausea is reported when consumed in moderate to high dosages and either passes once the tripper has vomited or gradually fades by itself as the peak sets in.
The head space of 2C-B is described by many as one which is both insightful and relatively normal in its thought processes even at moderate to high dosages.
The total sum of these cognitive components regardless of the setting generally includes:
- Introspection - This component is consistently manifested only in the context of a non-social setting in which the user is alone.
- Increased empathy, love and sociability - These feelings of sociability, love and empathy are a little weaker and less sharp than those found on substances such as MDMA but still prove stronger and more consistent than other psychedelics of any class. This is capable of providing long lasting therapeutic effects.
- Sexual arousal
- Acceleration of thought
- Time distortion
- Feelings of fascination, importance and awe
- Conceptual thinking
- Connectivity of thought
- Enhancement of current mind state
- Removal of cultural filter
- Ego suppression, loss and death
2C-B presents a full and complete array of possible visual enhancements which generally includes:
As for visual distortions and alterations, effects experienced are detailed below:
- Drifting (Melting, Flowing, Breathing and morphing) - In comparison to other psychedelics, this effect can be described as highly detailed, slow and smooth in motion, static in appearance and unrealistic/cartoon-like in style.
- After images
- Texture repetition
- Colour shifting
- Scenery slicing
The visual geometry that is present throughout this trip can be described as more similar in appearance to that of LSD than that of 2C-E, psilocin, or ayahuasca. They can be comprehensively described as unstructured in their organization, algorithmic in geometric style, intricate in complexity, large in size, fast and smooth in motion, colourful in scheme, glossy in colour, sharp in their edges and angular in their corners. They seem high in algorithmic visuals such as fractals and at higher dosages are significantly more likely to result in states of Level 7A visual geometry over Level 7B.
Like LSD, while 2C-B is capable of producing a full range of low and high level hallucinatory states, this is extremely rare and inconsistent at higher levels but common at lower and generally includes the following effects:
- External hallucinations
- Internal hallucinations - Although 2C-B is technically capable producing of hallucinatory states in a fashion that is on par with psilocin or DMT in its vividness and intensity, in comparison, these effects are extremely rare and inconsistent. Whilst traditional psychedelics such as LSA, Ayahuasca and Mescaline will induce internal hallucinations near consistently at level 5 geometry and above, 2C-B will for most go straight into Level 7A visual geometry. This lack of consistently induced hallucinatory breakthroughs means that for most, 2C-B is simply not as deep of an experience as certain other psychedelics.
The auditory effects of 2C-B are more common than some psychedelics in their occurrence and are capable of producing a full range of effects which commonly include:
Toxicity and Harm Potential
There is no current data for the LD50 of 2C-B, but it is thought to be considerably higher than the active dosage. Alexander Shulgin reported a 100 mg oral dose taken without apparent harm.
Tolerance and Addiction Potential
There is no real tolerance to be gained through 2C-B use. There does not seem to be any addictive potential.
- Australia: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- Belgium: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- Brazil: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- The EU: 2C-B is a Schedule II drug.
- Canada: 2C-B is a Schedule III drug.
- Italy:2C-B is schedule I (tabella I)
- Estonia: 2C-B is a Schedule I drug.
- Finland: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- Japan: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- The Netherlands: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- Norway: 2C-B is a Schedule II drug.
- Poland: 2C-B is a Schedule I drug.
- Russia: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- Spain: 2C-B is a Category 2 drug.
- Sweden: 2C-B is a Schedule I drug.
- Switzerland: Possession, production and sale is illegal.
- UK: 2C-B is a Class A drug.
- USA: 2C-B is a Schedule I drug.
- Erowid 2-CB effects | http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/2cb/2cb_effects.shtml
- 2C-B (Nexus) Reappears on the Club Drug Scene | http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs0/665/665p.pdf
- Functional Selectivity of Hallucinogenic Phenethylamine and Phenylisopropylamine Derivatives at Human 5-Hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)2A and 5-HT2C Receptors | http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/321/3/1054
- http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/sj.bjp.0705722/abstract;jsessionid=7F4731B4EF0AF36C37D0E3CA60319C4E.f03t04 | http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/sj.bjp.0705722/abstract;jsessionid=7F4731B4EF0AF36C37D0E3CA60319C4E.f03t04
- behavioral, neurochemical and pharmaco-EEG profiles of the psychedelic drug 4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine (2C-B) in rats | http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00213-012-2797-7
- "Shulgin, A (1991) PIHKAL" | http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal020.shtml
- "CDSA Schedule II" | http://isomerdesign.com/Cdsa/schedule.php?schedule=3§ion=ALL&structure=C
- Italy drug schedule | http://www.salute.gov.it/medicinaliSostanze/paginaInternaMedicinaliSostanze.jsp?id=7&menu=strumenti
- BBC advice - 2CB | http://www.lakemedelsverket.se/upload/lvfs/LVFS_2009-22.pdf