2C-P (2,5-dimethoxy-4-propylphenethylamine) is a synthetically produced psychoactive drug usually sold by online research chemical vendors. The substance itself is classed as a psychedelic phenethylamine of the 2C-x family and was first synthesized by Alexander Shulgin in 1974.
Like many 2c-x substances, this drug is a highly dose sensitive psychedelic known for its entactogenic effects, powerful yet bright visuals, and intense body load. It is often described by users as a chemical which is very similar to that of 2C-E yet distinct in its own effects. This drug may be overly intense for those who are not already experienced with psychedelics. This is something which is consistently attributed to its often overwhelmingly powerful effects and extremely long duration of 10 - 20 hours.
- 1 Chemistry
- 2 Pharmacology
- 3 Subjective effects
- 4 Health effects, addiction potential and tolerance
- 5 Legal Issues
- 6 See Also
- 7 References
2C-P is a substituted phenethylamine with methoxy groups attached to carbons R2 and R5, and a propyl chain attached to carbon R4.
The physical effects of 2C-P can be broken down into six components all of which progressively intensify proportional to dosage. These are described below and generally include:
- Spontaneous tactile sensations - the body high of 2C-P is intense but in comparison to 2C-E or 2C-B it can be considered mild, but is still capable of becoming very powerful and highly physically euphoric. It is similar yet distinct from the body high experienced on 2C-E, 2C-B, and LSD. The sensation itself can be described as intense and will manifest itself in the form of a continuously shifting tingling sensation that travels up and down the body in spontaneous waves. This is coupled by an equally intense yet slightly uncomfortable, energetic pins and needles sensation that constantly encompasses a person’s entire body, and a slight warm glow that manifests itself much less consistently than the other two physical components. All of these are capable of becoming very physically euphoric but can be described as proportionally intense with the visual and cognitive effects when compared to LSD.
- Stimulation - in terms of its effects on the physical energy levels of the tripper 2C-P is usually considered to be very energetic and stimulating in a fashion that is quite comparable to that of MDMA.
- Sexual arousal - a commonly felt physical component of the 2C-P trip is the way in which it heightens and enhances sexual arousal. When experienced, this sensation is not overwhelming or out of control but simply remains something that the tripper is constantly aware of. If sexual activities of any kind are engaged in, they are found to be immensely more pleasurable beyond anything that could be possible sober, with orgasm becoming difficult to reach but completely possible to obtain. When obtained the orgasm itself is capable of temporarily increasing the effects of the drug, this is most commonly experienced as visual effects dramatically increasing in a short yet powerful burst.
- Increased bodily control
- Enhancement of touch
- Nausea - mild to extreme nausea is consistently reported when consumed in moderate to high dosages and either passes once the tripper has vomited or gradually fades by itself as the peak sets in.
- Loss of temperature regulation
The head space of 2C-P is described by many as one which is both insightful and relatively normal in its thought processes even at moderate to high dosages.
The total sum of these cognitive components regardless of the setting generally includes:
- Enhancement of current mind state
- Acceleration of thought
- Feelings of fascination, importance and awe
- Time distortion
- Removal of cultural filter
- Conceptual thinking
- Direct communication with the subconsious
- Ego suppression, loss and death
- Thought loops
- Feelings of interdependent opposites
- States of unity and interconnectedness
2C-P presents a full and complete array of possible visual enhancements which generally includes:
2C-P presents a full and complete array of possible visual distortions which generally includes:
- Drifting (Melting, Flowing, Breathing and morphing) - In comparison to other psychedelics this effect can be described as highly detailed, slow and smooth in motion, static in their appearance and unrealistic/ cartoon like in style.
- After images
- Texture repetition
- Colour shifting
- Scenery slicing
The visual geometry that is present throughout this trip can be described as more similar in appearance to that of 4-AcO-DMT, Ayahuasca than that of LSD, 2C-B or 2C-I. They can be comprehensively described as structured in their organization, organic in geometric style, intricate in complexity, large in size, fast and smooth in motion, colourful in scheme, glossy in colour, sharp in their edges and equally rounded and angular in their corners. They give off a contradictory natural and synthetic feel to them that at higher dosages are significantly more likely to result in states of Level 7B visual geometry over Level 7A. There seems to be visual geometry that is distinct from 2C-E, psilocin and ayahuasca and can be described as faster moving and more intense in proportion to cognitive and physical effects than 2C-E.
2C-P produces a full range of high level hallucinatory states in a fashion that is more consistent and reproducible than that of many other commonly used psychedelics. This holds particularly true in comparison to other substances within the the phenethylamine family. These effects include:
- External hallucinations
- Internal hallucinations - in comparison to other psychedelics such as LSD, 2C-P is extremely high in hallucinations embedded within visual geometry. This particular effect commonly contains hallucinations with with scenarios, settings, concepts and autonomous entity contact. They are more common within dark environments and can be described as internal in their manifestation, lucid in believability, interactive in style and almost exclusively of religious, spiritual, mystical or a transcendental nature in their overall theme.
The auditory effects of 2C-P are more common in their occurrence than many more commonly used psychedelics and exhibit a full range of effects which commonly includes:
Health effects, addiction potential and tolerance
The toxicity and long term health effects of recreational 2C-P use does not seem to have been studied in any scientific context and the exact toxic dosage is unknown. This is because 2C-P is a research chemical with very little history of human usage. Anecdotal evidence from people who have tried 2C-P within the psychedelic community suggests that there are no negative health effects attributed to simply trying this drug at low to moderate doses or using it very sparingly but nothing can be completely guaranteed.
Tolerance and Addiction Potential
2C-P does not seem to be physically addictive and many users experience a self regulating quality, there seems to be a tolerance buildup when used consecutively multiple days in a row, However like 2C-E and unlike many other psychedelics, 2C-P has the ability to be redosed after peaking quite successfully, for most drugs there will be substantially diminished effects from the second dose but there is minimal with 2C-P. However, due to the rather long delay before come up and long duration, many users of 2C-P may find this impractical.
There is no current data for the LD50 of 2C-P, but it is thought to be high.
Possession and sale of 2C-P is unscheduled in most countries.
- UK: 2C-P is a Class A drug.
- USA: 2C-P is a Schedule I drug.
- Denmark: 2C-P is added to the list of Schedule B controlled substances.